New AMD omega driver

UPDATE: I am very frustrated with AMD. On the old card I had, R7 260x by gigabyte, I could run the native resolution, 1920 x 1080 @ 1080p, with no problems. On my new card, R9 290 Tri-x OC edition by Sapphire, new problems have emerged.

The first problem, is the display. When i run native, 1920 x 1080, i get these hideous black bars all around my 24" display, so now im looking at a 23" (dafuq).

Second, the screen would cut out at random times. I ran my benchmarks and my hardware tests and it passed, no issues. So okay it must be the new omega drivers right? So i uninstalled them, (thanks btw for your help on that Jacobite), and as i type this my screen cut out again.

However, i think i have found the solution. I believe i have isolated the cause of my issues to a faulty DVI cable. I deduced this by; 1)running the initial drivers by the media disk, 2) plugging in a new DVI cable into the exact same ports on monitor and GPU.

If this issue persists then i will have to do futhur trouble shooting but i believe that issue is fixed, if it continues to run without issues for a couple days then i will update to the omega drivers.

Lastly, for anyone with this specific hard; R9 290 by Sapphire, and a BenQ RL2455 24" monitor, If you run native 1920 x 1080 via an HDMI cable you will get the black bars when using the AMD drivers, but if you use it with a DVI cable then it seems to work fine. I am not sure why this is.

thanks for the quick response but i'm still getting the same results. But this time during installation it said "this version of windows only installs signed drivers"

The first problem, is the display. When i run native, 1920 x 1080, i get these hideous black bars all around my 24" display, so now im looking at a 23" (dafuq).

Can be fixed by using some scaling option in catalyst control center, I believe.  Had the same issue with my 7950.  I think it's under My Digital Flat-Panels -> Scaling Options.  I think this can also be done directly on your monitor.

these hideous black bars all around my 24

the black bars can be fixed in the drive.. its hdmi scaling.. it thinks its a tv or something and underscan is turned on.

user error becomes AMD's fault.

gee gee

lol thanks guys. but it wouldnt do that weird scaling thing when i use a DVI cable and change none of the settings, so wtf?

I used to use DVI, then switched to HDMI.

Both needed scaling.  Kinda weird, but it's a one time thing.  Set it and forget it.

+1

Going to try some more games later.

They finally did something about frame pacing. I could never get that really smooth 60fps feel before these drivers. It's so smooth now. So smooth.

Omega won't install correctly, so I wasted a few hours fighting with it. Uninstalling, reinstalling. I finally just went back to the drivers I was using before.

on R9 290x in the Star Swarm stress test, it seems to make DIRECTX API to run slower .... and MANTLE seems to run better  ... also , i get really low FPS while the scene changes in the Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 but i have the benchmark installed on an SSD

image for : star_swarm_catalys_14.9 - http://postimg.org/image/kc07ywejx/

image for : star_swarm_catalys_14.12_OMEGA - http://postimg.org/image/5kci4yd37/

image for : Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 - http://postimg.org/image/nstlhu2lp/

It seems to depend on the card + cpu ...

I'l check with a few cards , just wondering if it's worth the pain ...

Extremely off-topic, but what kind of heat does a massive 7990 and 2x7970s put into your case, OP? I'm curious. 

The lower unigine scores are most likely caused by the cpu.

You mean oven ...

Imagine the poor VRM'S 

Yea, that's why I'm curious. I'm sure it's an absolutely powerful system, but holy christ the heat. 

Nice, AMD finally caught up in drivers(features and performance). Maybe next time I might try AMD.

2 r9 290's here

downsampled crysis3 from 4k to 1080p and it actually runs at a playable framerate...(and also looks beautiful) thats good to know when i finally get around to buying a decent monitor :D

Do Futuremark and/or Unigine have any plans on supporting Mantle in their tests?

I doubt Unigine will, seems to be more of a marketing ploy to advertise their game engine then anything else. I still use it, but I doubt they will update very often. Futuremark is a cooperation, probably depends on how much money can be made off of mantle.