New agressively mediocre case from Fractal Design - Vector RS

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews3305/

So, it’s basically Define R6 with some glass here and there, RGB and even worse airflow than before.
Let me just remind everyone this is 200$ case.
I’m sad seeing Fractal going this route. They had character and uniqueness, now they are like everyone else. Glass, RGB, crap airflow, features nobody asked for, bet here they are anyways.
The replaceable top panel is a nice touch, but sadly it’s more expensive option of just having a top panel like Arc Midi R2 and block the insides if you want silence. No, you have to remove the front to be able to remove the top and replace it with three other tops.
The intake is worse than before, the exhaust is worse than before, the understated clean look Fractal is known for is gone and replaced with NZXT angles and RGB cause we don’t have enough of that, obviously…

Anyways, share your thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s disappointing.

1 Like

I am done here.

Supermicro SuperChassis GS50-000R
Comes with 750W SeaSonic PSU, costs 200€

5 Likes

That is disgusting. I have the R6 and it’s great. And that just… It’s an abomination.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the RGB, and you can fix the airflow. Price, ya… a bit steep. The thing that irked me was that USB C was a extra charge on the R6. Personally, I’d have to actually see the case in person prior to ranting about it. shrug

1 Like

That reminds me of the old Lian Li cases from back in the day… Pure functionality, but also looks ok.

1 Like

But this is the reason it exists…

Agreed though. for $200 you’re paying for all the glass and A S T H E T I C S

At least it seems fully featured.

I’d still say it fits the fractal clean look…at least compared to a lot of cases in the last few years.

2 Likes

It wasn’t on mine. USB C and 3.0 connectors and plugs were already included in mine when I bought it later last year.

1 Like

Understandable since the rise of USB c has come in the last two years.

1 Like

I can be wrong but I think there was 2 models - one with USB C and more expensive, and one without and cheaper…

Man, when did we reach the point where Lian-Li is one of the cheaper options on the market? Like, seriously. They used to be crazy expensive. Now you can get a Lian-Li O11 that looks nicer, has better airflow and costs less than three quarters of the Fractal Case.
Unless i missed an obvious seeling point, paying 200 bucks for any case is crazy. Some special things are out there (Dual System stuff, low production ITX and such), but other than that, i’d never get a case for that price. I already thought my Define Mini was expensive at 80 bucks. At that rate, in a year or two the case will make up 30% of the Builds budget.

3 Likes

Simply don’t buy it. Getting mad about it is still consumerism.

2 Likes

I think case is just Fractal following the current trend and offering something in new product segments to be able to compete with other case manufacturers. RGB is currently big trend in PCs and while many consider it unnecessary eye candy, many are willing to pay for it to get cool looking computers.

And I don’t believe Fractal is abandoning their other product lines, so like I said, they are just offering something to new to satisfy RGB thirsty consumers to get more :moneybag:

Price is high, something I wouldn’t pay, but knowing Fractal they have experience at pricing computer cases and must have adjusted the price accordingly.

1 Like

For 200, the you should not be part of the equation.
When airflow is bad enough your hardware thermal throttles, a case sucks.

Noone:
Not a single PC user:

Case makers: Tempered glass RGB thermal throttling for 200!

1 Like

Not at first @psycho_666. It was just the one model, and then they sold the usb c thing separate. Now, it’s sold in the same case. I can’t even find the older one that doesn’t have the usb c for sale anymore unless my google-fu has stopped working.

1 Like

I know it’s not easy to make a metal shoebox “unique”, but a lot of the more common Fractal cases I have found underwhelming. All kind of the same. I will give it to the Meshify/Meshify C though, it is/was neat because it had a mesh front while still visually interesting and not too flashy. Much better than the Define C it shares bodies with.

2 Likes

Why did I know it was him :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who?

That’s correct there are or were two Define R6 - I have one of each. 1x Define R6 the original, no USB - TypeC. I had to order the Connect D1 (replacement front i/o panel) to get TypeC. And, 1x Define R6 USB-C - This Chassis came out about a year later I think and has the TypeC port native. I am not sure if they even still make the original R6. I think the R6 USB-C model superseded the other. - They both cost about the same IIRC, @ $150 USD for the TG Blackout editions.

1 Like

I might be a Fractal Fanboy - I have run in the Define S till I sold that puter…, still have two Define R6’s and a Define S2 and considering picking up a S2-Meshify or another S2 … This Vector though, I am not really a fan of - actually disappointed. I hope that Fractal is just experimenting and does not intend to drop the Define series.

1 Like