New 3700X User Can't Get Clocks to Stock And More

I excitedly bought a 3700X to replace my aging 4790K on release day and I have been having nothing but problems getting this this to run as rated. I watched Wendell’s latest video on Zen2 and overclocking\PBO and I decided to try some of the things he hinted on, but am having no success.

My Setup -
3700X
Gigabyte X570 Elite
16GB of 3200 CL14 @ 3600 CL14 1.46v
Vega 64
Swiftech H360 X3 AIO Watercooler (Temps range around 75-80c under Cinebench)

So far I am unable to get the 3700X to exceed 4.3 Ghz single core boost, it is usually at 4.2-4.25 under heavy single threaded load. I have enabled and disabled PBO, played with the PBO limits (PPT\TDC\EDC), played with offset overvolting\undervolting, played with various other voltages. I have also reverted back and forth between the shipped and updated BIOS. I am kind of feeling like maybe I am getting the short end of the stick from AMD if the processor can’t run at rated specifications. Max Cinebench R20 Score in all my testing 4876.

On top of the processor clock, I am having nothing but issues with the Radeon drivers and Windows 1903. My old 4790K based system finally got the 1903 update pushed to it just shortly before my 3700X came in, and that is when the problem started. Since 1903, with either the 19.7.1 or the 19.6.3 Radeon drivers my computer will often turn both of my monitors a solid color (red, blue, green, yellow, purple) to the point where you can hardly read anything, this happened before I re-installed Windows for the 3700X upgrade and after. The problem seems to happen less, but doesn’t go away, if I go down to using one monitor. The monitors are both connected with new Display Port cables, and I never had this problem until the 1903 update. I am at a loss here, and this has really rained on my new processor parade, as I have been unable to play much as most of my time is spent disconnecting and reconnecting my monitor in hopes I can get it to stay normal so I can do something.

So far my switch from team green and blue has been a nightmare :frowning:.

Did you try both F3 and F4g bios? also what do your temps look like when PBO is on?

Yes, I have tried both the F3 and F4g bios options, and have gone back and forth between them in testing. My temps with PBO on under a Cinebench load are around 75-80c depending on ambient.

Thats pretty warm and could be part of the problem.

check this out for a minute.

timestamped

Hmmm, I would hope that temps wouldn’t be a big issue with a 360mm water-loop. Hell right now as I am typing the temps are at around 60-65c. I have tried to undervolt\disable PBO, which does drop temps, and one of the undervolting runs I did had similar clock speed, but still far less performance.

In all the launch reviews I’ve seen, no one has gotten past 4.3 4.4 w/ normal cooling. The 4.6GHz # given was their new marketing strategy of stating the clock speed you could get from the luckiest ever chip. A strategy that sets them up for disappointment.

360 rads in AIOs are often disappointing. 60-65c is really high for idle. Do you think maybe the cooler isnt seating quite right? is it really hot there or something?

not with all core, no.

many people are getting 4.5 single core though.

I picked up this specific “AIO” becuse it was one of the best rated ones around. Its more of a AIO\Custom Loop Hybrid, and it has a very well regarded waterblock on it with larger coverage then most that I thought would work well with the new Zen2 chiplet design.

It is 73f ambient right now, and I could re-paste and seat the cooler.

Also, my idle volts are around 1.45, which I have tried to calm down, but have had no success in doing. Apparently a lot of people are having high idle voltages.

That voltage reading is likely not accurate. you wont see a correct voltage until the chip gets loaded.

It does, 1.35-1.37 under full multicore load.

That AIO doesnt look bad other than the rad being covered by the pump and not being very thick.

Ah, that’s better news than I was hearing in the launch stuff.

thats just a smidge high but not bad. I think you might have to chalk this one up to bios shenanigans. I mean really at the end of the day, IPC on zen2 is better than intel so even at 4.3 its not as bad as it seems. The difference in single core performance is not going to be a ton here, even with the extra 200mhz.

@wendell didnt you have to do some funky stuff to get your single core PBO to clock as ‘intended’?

Please see my perfect setup thread someone link plsnim on mobile. Set your voltages to normal.

Are you using the stock cooler? Out atm

3 Likes

I gotchu fam.

360 AIO

@Litzner

1 Like

You might also rotate your aio 90 degrees and repaste pls.

1 Like

Checking it out right now and I will let you know my results, thanks!

I am using a 360mm AIO from Swiftech.

1 Like

So far not having any luck making things better, but I am going to try this next. I did take a look at a de-llidded 3700X and how the dies are oriented underneath the IHS. If I rotate my cooler my inlet should almost be directly over the core die, right now both the inlet and outlet on the water block are offset from that location. So the rotation may help, but it will also drive my OCD nuts with the logo being sideways…