Just throwing some things out there.

Some Progressive Metal:

Atmospheric/Folk Black Metal

Progressive/Black/Death Metal

Post/Black Metal

Technical/Progressive Death Metal

And lastly, Black/Folk Metal from China

1 Like

I'm going to take a slightly different approach than the other posts here. I tend to like some top 40, rock, EDM, and the odd country song. However a couple of years ago I discovered symphonic metal. Some people here may not like it, but I find it can be a nice bridge between other genres and metal. I really think the added instruments brings much more to the song. I also tend to prefer female vocalists to male but there are exceptions to this (Marco Heitala comes to mind). I really don't like your male death growls, but that's my preference. Some songs have it for a few words or verses and I don't mind it. Here's some songs I think are a good start with symphonic metal. These are my favourites from these bands, there are lots of other songs probably more worth of a intro to symphonic metal list. Nightwish, Within Temptation, Amaranthe, Delain, and Beyond the Black

Nemo - Nightwish

Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Nightwish

Amaranth - Nightwish

Paradise (What About Us?) ft Tarja - Within Temptation

Shot in the Dark - Within Temptation

Amaranthine - Amaranthe

April Rain - Delain

Lost in Forever - Beyond the Black

1 Like

I second the Nightwish; huge fan.

This is their best performance by far. I don't think they've ever sounded better than they did here:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIedr_9_9hA Symphonic Metal...Technically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvZKJlrtk8 -More power rock but still awesome.

I recently saturated our network sooo... severely... by migrating over a dozen VMs at once and my manager freaked when he lost connection to the pool and saw timeouts from OpenNMS monitoring; I was listening to this at the time, he said we clearly have very different ideas about what constitutes good music, please enjoy:

now this stuff is grade a... give it a shot.

In my opinion, metal doesn't have to include screaming. It has to have powerful riffs and guitar solos. If there's too much screaming it ruins the song.

1 Like

id say start from the start, listen to some Black Sabbath and work your way through time........ i wish i was you, i wish i could do this haha

MOAR SONGZ!!!!!!!

1 Like

I've listened to a lot of what you guys sent and listened to this playlist on Spotify http://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/6RsopNg2yrLjKiu00jaCyi and I like the majority of the songs on the playlist but I'm not too keen on the whole growling stuff. Thank you guys for helping me out, I really appreciate it

1 Like

If you're not much into growling, maybe check out stuff by Dream Theater, if no one else has mentioned it yet.

1 Like

It's an acquired taste.

big mastodon fan if it has not already been said

Woooooo, Mastodon!

3 Likes

hunter is the personal favorite there

Oh you bastrard, why didn't I think of DT???

1 Like

It's overlooked sometimes. I just recently started listening to their music, so it was fresh on my mind when I saw this post.

Bastard! Another awesome band I forgot to mention, well done @anon59440203, excellent music recommendation, great handle too btw, top dogs...

1 Like