Networking Class Project Problems

I will definitely bookmark that channel.

As for the ACL, I actually find those to be quite easy to understand. But I'll be sure to keep what you said in mind @deejeta

And from what I can tell, the professors aren't the ones who actually come up with these assignments, someone else does. Hell, a few semesters ago we had a broken final exam that most people couldn't figure out, why?

Because the exam was written for one Linux distro, and the distro being used for the class wasn't compatible (written for red hat, class used ubuntu). So we ended up being instructed to edit a file, that didn't exist, and neither did the directories that file was supposed to be found in. I ended up having to create the directories, find the file, edit it, and move it to the proper directory (which of course actually broke the ubuntu distro we were using), all so I could take a screenshot.

While that might sound like a trivial matter to some of you pro's, to a first time Linux student, it's a nightmare lol

We all had to start somewhere. In a few years you'll be the expert!

Good luck with your course.

1 Like

I certainly hope so. Desperately going to need a good job to pay off the student loan from this program (which will be my first priority out of school)

As a person who works in this field.

This type of thing worries me.

How does one expect to get a job in the field if their schooling is half-assed and incorrect half the time?

I would weed through products of these programs in a telephone interview.

I'm glad you keep asking questions and attempt to understand this stuff rather than just go for a grade.

4 Likes

Pay teachers more and you'll attract the best. Pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

3 Likes

I learned way back in high school that a high grade doesn't necessarily mean you know anything useful or practical about a subject.

What really concerns me is that I still apparently have to do certifications after getting a 4 year degree? I already had to go into debt to take the college courses, I hope I can find at least some kind of entry level job so that I can afford to get certs once I pay off the student loan.

I'm sorry to add to your tale of woe, but your degree + certificates are only the foot in the door. You will never get know your chosen field completely, in the IT industry, because as just as you get familiar with an OS, software or hardware, it changes. Over the years, doing more training and getting more certificates is the norm.

The upside is you'll know 99% more than the average Joe/Josephine and they'll be only to pleased to pay you, handsomely, for your finely tuned skills!

1 Like

Well that last part is one of the biggest reasons I've decided to go into IT.

That, and working in an office, in a chair....hopefully.

Keeping yourself relevant by learning more and understanding more stuff is important. Getting certs, only relevant if you are applying to big firms like Financial stuffs.

Never stop learning stuff.

3 Likes

Oh we tried, there was a general cant be bothered attitude from the guy about it. It was frustrating. (not that they were all like that, there was some very good lecturers)

Yeah... youd be surprised who gets through college and uni here.

Heres one for you. A practical test for a course module used packet tracer to troubleshoot a small network that had some problems (there wasnt enough physical equipment, and I guess thats what they knew...). Easy enough to fix, passed it fine.

But how did the lecturer check it was working? He checked the green lights were on.... so you can imagine what some people did when they found out before it was there turn, they just reset the connections so it looked like it worked.

Oh the stories i have..

--

I agree with the general sentiment, learn regardless of what your taught, keep improving what you know, even if its little bits.

2 Likes

Well that sounds professional /s

And I still got the same response to my questions about the grade from this guy. Just told me to check....everything. Gave me no real information or instruction.

Not even sure why he has a job, a computer could likely be programmed to check/grade the assignments, and point out mistakes and give corrections.

I think after everyone is done with the exam, he could at least give a "working configuration"

to show the "text book answer" to how it should be set up.....

1 Like

You would think so, but apparently not. We're apparently supposed to figure it out....somehow, after we've gotten a A on it.....by doing it in such a way that it didn't work.

sigh

Guess I'll have to schedule extra time this week for part three, so I can fix the problems of part 2 before actually working on part 3.

If you post the config to a pastebin, and send me the link, I can fix it up and show you what I did differently.

as for part 3, just remember to put the ACLs as close to the source as possible. it helps reduce unneeded network traffic.

3 Likes

I'm not sure about posting the config. I don't really have any files or anything from the lab itself other than the screenshots I took and the addresses I was using. The lab software is more like an emulator than anything else. I download a .jnlp file whenever I open a device, and running that opens the window.

So for reference heres how your serial links should have been set up each serial link need to be a separate network. I also have to ask why there is eigrp in your routers that certainly cant be helping with anything. to do with rip. also make sure that you are advertising all the connected networks separately in rip

sales

int s0
description "Sales -> HR we have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.1 255.255.255.252
clockrate 64000
no shut
exit

int s1
description "Sales -> Payroll they have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.5 255.255.255.252
no shut
exit

payroll

int s0
description "Payroll -> Sales we have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.6 255.255.255.252
clockrate 64000
no shut
exit

int s1
description "Payroll -> HR they have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.9 255.255.255.252
no shut
exit

HR

int s0
description "HR -> Sales they have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.2 255.255.255.252
no shut
exit

int s1
description "Hr -> Payroll we have the clock"
ip add 172.16.255.10 255.255.255.252
clockrate 64000
no shut
exit

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn't notice that EIGRP was turned on.

My reservation is in two hours. Going to redo-part 2, then do part 3, will post screenshots when I'm done. Thanks for all the help guys.

Well, everything worked exactly as it should have. I can't believe I didn't understand where my issue was with addressing the serial interfaces, but I understand now.

The access lists were a bit weird to figure out, since the only requirements where that nothing but HR could access payroll, and anything could access HR. I ended up just doing a standard access list, denying the Sales network with a wildcard mask ( deny 172.16.16.0 0.0.0.255) and permitting the HR network with a wildcard mask (permit 172.16.80.0 0.0.0.255). Not sure if that's the right way to do it, but considering there are only three subnets in the lab, I felt it was the most efficient way to implement it.

Cisco needs to implement a "permit only" argument for access lists. That way if you want only one group to access a subnet you can just put "permit only xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" etc, and have it implicitly deny everything else.

Edit: I forgot to take screenshots of the pings working between all the hosts before configuring the access lists (facepalm). But I have screens of the access lists working etc. If anyone wants to see them just ask.

1 Like

EIGRP was only advertising the 10.0.0.0 network anyway on that one router. It wouldnt have hurt anything.

Who told ya this? Its not a valid command on 12.4 or 15.2 IOS

1 Like

If you don't mind me asking do you have access to netacad through your course and is there a specific Ccna level you are studying?