Network share/bridge help

I am trying to share the network connection between my PC and PS5 and cannot figure it out.

Im currently staying at a University so while my PC has a wired ethernet connection, my PS5 is unable to authenticate on the network. Luckily for me my computer has a pair of ethernet connections and I also have a wifi adaptor available.

I have tried both sharing the wired connection, setting up a wifi hotspot, and bridging the connections but no luck. The PS5 absolutely refuses to obtain an IP address. If I hotspot my phone to the PS5 it connects straight away but I do not have the data available to do it that way all the time.

I anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great - I’m sure its a ‘me’ problem and im doins something wrong or missing a step.

Win 11 Pro pc with a 2.5gb Realtek connection (used for the university network), an intel 1gb connection available, and wifi6 available (x570 Aorus master mobo)

Do we still need cross over cables between computers?
Or do the nic’s all come with auto sensing?

Can you manually set the IP address on the PS5 and get communication at least with the PC?

A bunch of the guides I saw suggest the WiFi sharing might be easier, if that’s acceptable? you already tried. Nvm

You should think so, but no: crossover cables are still a thing. However, a simple, dumb switch will solve that issue for cheap. And offer more ports for other devices to connect too.

1 Like

A university would not use “sticky” ports, or lock the wall jack/switch port to the first MAC, would it?

I can manually set the IP address but I have no idea what to set it as

I wouldn’t be surprised if this one did. We have to used PEAP security with MSCAPv2 and there is a list of stuff thats banned on the network as long as my arm like Dropbox, Google Drive, any form of VPN and a bunch of other stuff

1 Like

I would just test communication between PS5 and PC, like manually setting one to 192.168.0.3 and the other ~4 and see if it detects/sends traffic?

Netmask 255.255.255.0 or /24 or whatever

1 Like

OK so I sort of have it working. I had to remove all the ethernet calbes and just connect to wifi and then share that same wifi with the PS5. The only problem is that wired I get the full 1gbps speed and wifi is only giving me around 10-15% of that speed. Even at full signal strength.
Slow is better than not at all i guess.

1 Like

The WiFi is using the 5ghz band? Or, like AX /AC? Depending on what the PS5 has built in…

5ghz - the wifi here is slow as shit regardless of whats connected to it. Thats why I was trying to stick with wired. But I wasnt able to sort the ‘unable to obtain an IP address’ issue and after looking around the PS5 is known to have issues with this.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that bud.

I’m surprised one can’t set a static IP on a PS5 to test connectivity, but I guess DHCP is just easier

Good luck with it man

1 Like