Netapp 4486 & LSI 9200-8e Issues > 2tb

Actually just took it a step further and removed Power pin 3 from one of the drives, still did not spin up in the 4486 disk shelf

Found the Netapp 4468 manual

May want to give that a skim if you haven’t already

Thanks ! I appreciate it, will give it a look over.

So I actually have the same problem. Using a LSI 9207-8e and the DS4486. Realized that SATA drives show up fine, but not SAS drives. What I tried doing is bypassing the caddy and plugging the drive directly to the SAS backplane and the drives seem to show up. My prediction is that the caddies do a SAS dual lane to split to dual single lane SATA. As a result there is probably of only the potential for 24 bay SAS.

I found the same thing to be true… How did you plug in the SAS drives and ‘bypass’ the caddies, its pretty deep!

For testing I temporarily just hung it off the SAS port with one on top of each other. I’m considering on trying to 3d print some caddies or some sort.

I was about to try something like this with a 4246. I have 2 suggestions :

1. Definitely remove the IOM6 and install HB-SBB2-E601 instead. If you connect only one cable, you only need the top controller, that would using one out of the two SAS ports.

2. Remove the interposer in the caddy in order to install the drive further in. These interposers are designed to allow a SATA drive on a SAS backplane; if the drive is SAS already, no need for the interposer.

You may have to drill holes in the caddy. On older Dell caddies, there are two positions : one to mount the drive with the interposer, and one without.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.