Net Admins - DNS Issues AD/outside

Disclaimer, just got hired Monday and did not Originally set up the Domain, I’m aware it’s not following best practices but I’m here now

Hi there!

Hoping someone may have run into this before. I’m working on fixing an issue for my company’s network and was hoping someone has run into this before.

The company’s AD is on domain ACME.org (acme for these examples). Now when someone wants to visit the company’s website and they enter acme.org into their browser it takes you to a Windows Server IIS page instead of the real website. Is there a way/how would you set up Forward lookings (if I’m even barking down the right tree) to allow them to actually get to acme.org.

You can actually get to the website by entering https://www.acme.org, but that’s not a real solution.

Appreciate the help in advance!

This is the unfortunate circumstance that occurs when the AD domain is identical to a public facing site. Typically you want to use a subdomain specifically for your domain. I’d suggest reading this (DNS (internal domain has same name as external website)) and carefully consider the options along with whatever caveats they may bring.

1 Like

Installing IIS on the DC and setting up a redirect would probably be the best option.

1 Like

Thanks! I was seeing this as well. I’m thinking maybe going with IIS for short term while changing the domain name to something like internal.acme.org .

Appreciate it! Hoping one day I can be the one providing advice instead of asking for it. Lol