Need upgrade advice on a LGA1366 Server. Not sure about Power Supply Requirements for a 2x 6-core CPU. Preferably someone with experience

Currently own an HP ML350 G6 which I paid $150 CAD for, with 24GB Registered RAM (12GB per CPU), 2x 460W PSU's, and 2x E5502 CPU's. I want to upgrade the server to 2x X5650's (six cores 2.6GHz), and at least 4x 7200RPM 3.5" HDD's (most likely 6+)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience in having 2 six-core processors, and a couple 3.5" HDD's, with only 2x 460W Redundant PSU's (or similar power system). If so, how did it turn out for you? I will not be buying the more powerful PSU's, because I'm cheap.

Thanks! :D

Bump

Second bump in 24H. Changed the title, hoping that it will gain more attention. Maybe @wendell can chime in, since I know he has worked on servers with dual 6-core CPU's, however, would love if other community members had something to say.

I want to build the same system as you here is a great vid I found. He uses a 750 watt Bronze rated power supply from evga because it has two cpu power cable's. I know you would rather not buy a new power supply but I suggest you do. Also here is his pc part list. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/HHt4gL
ENJOY!!! Don't forget to like his video.

you probably want bigger PSUs but the motherboard may be limited, some of the HPs don't support higher-wattage CPUs. So you may be limited on installing faster same-wattage CPUs.

Not sure what the wattage are on the proposed or new cpus

2 Likes

According to this page (https://microage.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/HP-ProLiant-ML350-Specs.pdf), the ML350 G6 supports a max of 95W TDP CPU's, which the X5650's are, according to the webpage above, along with Intel ARK, however, I remember hearing about a while ago how TDP ≠ Power Consumption, which is why I was wondering whether these 2 CPU's + a couple HDD's and 48GB Registered RAM would be fine on 2x 460W PSU's.

I'll be checking out that video later today, because I'm in class right now, however, thanks for the input :D