Need to source high density DDR1 and DDR2 ram. Where should I look?

So atm I’m trying to put together my “Just Do It” challenge, which I plan to do a few months to a year on powerpc macs only. Being as I want to work on code on these machines, port packages, work on firmware hacks, etc, this is a good challenge, for me at least. ;3 The only caveat will be for when I want to stream, or, for when I need a utility that is only available on X86 platforms.

However, before I can do any of that I need to do a few things. For starts, I need more ram. Like a lot. Currently I am using a G5 dualie that only has 2GB of ram. It can support 4-8 GB, however. But I have no idea where to even source high density ram for these machines, and specifically I’m looking for 2GB DIMMs at PC-3200, though I don’t know if ECC or not.

Where would I source such DIMM’s? Any links or suggestions are appreciated.

1 Like

Posts like this reenforce my pack-rat tendencies. Only a few months ago I threw several handfuls of DDR1 and some DDR2, although I don’t know that any of it was clocked that fast. Mostly 1 and 2gb sticks as I recall, salvaged from decom’d business desktops.

1 Like

You could check your local DRMO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLA_Disposition_Services) or Ebay and such services. We just decommissioned a trainer here and there is lik maybe a few terabytes of DDR2 and DDR3 RAM just waiting to go to DRMO.

https://starmicroinc.net/ram-memory-upgrade/server-memory/ddr-server-memory/pc3200-ddr-memory-for-server/

A quick search only brings up ECC memory for 2GB sticks of PC3200. I’ve bought stuff from them on occasion over the past 15 years. I know back in the day people would ask for CPU’s with specific stepping and they would make it happen, so maybe contacting them with what you have and need would be worth a shot.

No idea if that will work on your machine, but if it does then $9 seems pretty cheap.

1 Like

Neat!! Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

https://www.ebay.com/b/IBM-8GB-DDR2-SDRAM-Computer-Memory-RAM/170083/bn_16003911
for older ram look for ibm high density sticks and teamgroup for non ecc
if looking for NEW like from the factory when you order there are alot of chinese factories pumping out cheap kits at spec

Forums like these, people hoard them and never sell them :slight_smile:

:stuck_out_tongue: Do you have any?

If I did not throw them out I would have 2 and 4GB a stick ones

1 Like

I’m not sure where to look for the high density modules for DDR and DDR2, I have some old RAM modules on hand due to pack-rat-itis just like I still have old 30-pin modules too, even some 256KB modules :wink:

Well if you have any high density sticks let me know.

I don’t know what you mean, oh, a quick check of my junk box and a bag labelled DDR2…

1 Like

Christ, I’ve not seen these in a while (well, probably not since the last what old junk thread…)

1 Like

If you have any ddr1 doing nothing lmk

Sorry, I used to have a load of DDR1 but I gave it away a few years back.

It’s a Voodoo !! :smiley:
Sorry had to do it. Don’t loose the crossover cable btw.

I actually have the exact same V2 1000 card.
Not sure though what the WinFast card is.

For note I stared a wtb wtt thread.

Poking around the DLA Disposition Services site, most of the information there seems to be for DoD personnel who are trying to recycle their equipment. The information about RTD seemed promising, mentioning a “General Public” account type, though it looks like you need to install a DoD root certificate of some kind to be able to access the page.

The disclaimer on the DLA SSO page is a bit ominous:

You are accessing a U.S. Government (USG) Information System (IS) that is provided for USG-authorized use only.

By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you consent to the following conditions:

• The USG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for purposes including, but not limited to, penetration testing, COMSEC monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM), law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations.
  • At any time, the USG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.
  • Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are subject to routine monitoring, interception, and search, and may be disclosed or used for any USG-authorized purpose.
  • This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access controls) to protect USG interests–not for your personal benefit or privacy.
  • Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to PM, LE, or CI investigative searching or monitoring of the content of privileged communications, or work product, related to personal representation or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and their assistants. Such communication and work product are private and confidential. See User Agreement for details.

What defines “attached to” here? If I let my paranoia talk for a moment, I can image a lawyer arguing that it includes any device used to merely log-into the DLA, such as someone’s home computer.

Maloney needs to get on with that dique suqqin

You get this standard banner any time you access any DOD computer, network, or embedded equipment. It applies to what you are doing while accessing DOD resources.

So DRMO is publicly accessible to the public. You may need to get base access prior to visiting but that is not hard. Just call you closest military installation and they will point you in the right direction.

1 Like