Need thoughts on some laptops im looking at

In my opinion, if gaming will be an edge-case use with your laptop, your best bet would be with one of the devices with Iris Plus graphics. As good as Intel UHD graphics have become, in my experience, they’re still a bit funky with resolutions approaching 4K. This is coming from using an XPS 15 for the best part of a year, and this could equally be put down to Optimus/Nvidia’s side of things, so take that with a grain of salt.

Personally, I’d sway more towards the Macbook Pro or Surface Pro 7, as they have screens which are much better suited to surfing, with taller aspect ratios. To note, the XPS 13 2-in-1 has a 1200p screen - giving it the same aspect ratio as the Macbook Pro, with the bonus of being able to use it as a tablet, if you’re so inclined? As it’s not running a super high res screen, there shouldn’t be any issues with UHD graphics.

How are they with media? I will be doing some Netflix, Hulu, etc at some point. I know the Macbook has a 16:10 screen from what I have seen. But the Surface products use a 3:2 screen.

I find this site good for comparing screen sizes.

Macbook Pro vs XPS 13

Surface Pro 7 vs XPS 13

XPS 13 2-in-1 vs XPS 13

Thanks, my friend has a Surface book 2 and Surface go. So I though I ask him about the Aspect ratio as well. To see what his thoughts are going from 16:9 on his desk top to a 3:2 on his surface devices. Dont get me wrong, Im open to other aspect ratios. I love my 21:9 montor, looking to upgrade to a 32:9 on my desktop at some point.

Im thinking the Mac is going to be the best choice for me. 1) Its cheaper than the Surface book 3. 2) It has twice the storage of the Surface book and 3) I think ill be happier with the 16:10 screen. The intergratioin with the iPhone also sounds kinda cool. Am I better buying this from Apple or should I shop around? I do plan on picking up Apple care if that matters where I buy it.

Ended up ordering it from Best Buy. Only because I get the device faster.

3 Likes

Just on apple “quality”.

As above the big bug-bear recently has been the keyboard. That has been fixed.

In the past there have been discrete GPU issues, but these have not been exclusive to Apple. The Radeon and Nvidia problems with the 15" MacBook pros, I have seen with HPs, Dells, etc. as well, but typically they occur out of warranty.

The things you need to bear in mind with complaints in apple land are

• the Mac community as much as they are fanboys, are EXTREMELY picky and vocal about faults or problems. Go check out some of the threads on MacRumors, people returning multiple machines with totally minor imperfections like slightly rounded screw heads, minor minor marks, etc. or the WRONG BRAND DISPLAY. Yes, there are rabid Mac fanboys but they’re just as vocal when things aren’t right. Many of the “scandals” on MacRumors would be totally passed over and accepted by the vast majority of PC buyers or corporate PC device users.
  • often the problems that occur are after a typical PC laptop of the same class would be junked. Apple notebooks are kept for a long time (5+ years is common, rather than an exception) and the faults they sometimes see reflect that.

I’ve purchased 3 Apple laptops in the past 10 years and have been overall happy. More than happy; they’re the best portables I’ve ever owned. I would be very reluctant to switch to something else despite the spec sheet. The keyboards, trackpads, displays, enclosures, etc. are GREAT. I will willingly spend 50% more over regular PC price to get a Mac (of same or even slightly inferior on paper spec), purely because of MacOS, the displays, the trackpads and the keyboards.

The 2015 and 2011 machines I still own look (and feel, to use) much better than a 2 year old PC laptop because of the durability of the case/external components and the work apple normally put into getting their human interface devices right.

• The SSD is soldered yes, buy appropriately.
  • If your storage breaks (or even better, if the hardware gets STOLEN) with no backup you’re screwed anyway. The solution to that is backups, not replaceable SSD. If you’re relying on storage repair for your data protection you are doing it wrong, irrespective of hardware platform.
  • The flip-side to soldered storage and the T2 chip is that if your machine is stolen, it’s a brick. No loss of personal information; it’s all encrypted and if you have it linked to iCloud you can secure wipe it when it hits the network, and any attempt to wipe and reinstall will alert you and brick it (unless it is activated with your iCloud account).
  • If you buy AppleCare (yes more $) you get no questions asked replacement and very cheap replacement even if you break shit and it isn’t due to a hardware fault

Right now for example if I drop my MacBook Air down the stairs, I am covered.

Yes, it is more money, but you are paying for an ownership experience, not a bunch of components that the vast majority of PC vendors will give you fuck all in the way of support on (the grudging bare minimum legally required) post-sale.

If you use the machine for work and can write it off as an expense, simply plan on 33% of the price every 3 years (or however many your local tax department will permit, normally 3) and replace it including apple care every depreciation period. You end up with a fairly hassle free experience. If it breaks, you’re covered. If you break it, you’re covered.

Just a final reply. I got the Macbook today and so far I really like it. The intergration with the iPhone is just awesome. Everything is working out pretty good. Safari is working great as my web browser. Im really liking the interface of Mac OS. Once you get used to it, it works pretty well. OH and that touchpad, Ive always hated touchpads, now I see why every Youtube reviewer says its the one thing Apple has done right.