Need some suggestions on some over ear headphones

I’m looking for some new headphone to wear away from my desktop. I currently have a pair of Audio Technica ath-ad700x’s and I really like them. The only problem is the cord doesn’t detach and its like 10 feet long. They are also far too open for use in public. I would prefer sub $200 range and I’m fine with either Bluetooth or wired. Thanks for any suggestions.

Based on its frequency range I can only assume its got a tight base, warm mids and pretty clear vocals right?

would you prefer anything different to it sound wise? also closed backs (for public use) will make the bass a little stronger.

Im really liking the sound of my Takstar pro 82 headphones as they have adjustable bass and great noise Isolation along with a detachable cable but it is also long so you’ll need another cable that goes from 3.5mm to 2.5 mm.

I also heard that the AT M40X with an earpad change makes them sound fantastic with great soundstage on them (havent tried it but I want to at some point.)
The M40x with the earpad mod will be a bit costly but still under $200 if you get a good deal, but the cheaper options would be the Takstar pro 82 or maybe Even the Skullcandy Hesh 3 (which has wireless while the others dont)

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC $110

Audio Technica ATH-ANC9 $95

Both of those are quality closed-back cordless options with noise cancelling in the ~$100 range, I’d go with the Sennheiser with that small of a gap in price… if I wanted something REALLY nice I’d do the Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless… but you’ll have a hard time finding them for less than the MSRP of $699

Logitech H800 Wireless Bluetooth Headsets, Hi-Definition Stereo Headphones with Noise-Cancelling Microphone, Bluetooth and USB Nano Receiver, Multi-Device, Long Battery Life, PC/Mac/Smartphone/Tablet

Sony MDR 7506. Relatively cheap, take a beating, and sound good enough (to my ears). Would get a pair of replacement Velor ear pads (Brainwavz) for less sweaty ears and some sort of band cushion for less head ache if you are going to be wearing them for over an hour.

I have been working as a sound engineer for a couple of years now, and WITHOUT the detachable cable requirement i would have said beyerdynamic DT-770, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, or Sony MDR-7506
But they all have the coiled cables wich are really great for studio usage, but yes you feel like an idiot plugging that into your phone and struggling to manage the cable wich then inevitably gets tangled up in a ball of regret :sweat_smile:

The ones i like with detachable cable are the Rode NTH-100 (really nice) and the Audio-Technica M50 X (kind of the Drake of headphones…), but honestly I wouldn’t want wired headphones on the go when bluetooth is indistinguishable from wired 99.9% of the time!

So let me preface this by saying, my colleagues made fun of me when i showed up at work with these but understood me after trying them: Beats Studio 3

They are fun headphones but still retain detail, they have (what the recording world would call) a hifi quality to them. The bass is powerful but defined the mids are… there!?.. well they are somewhere. And the high-mids and highs are super present without being uncomfortable.
They made music not feel like work to me, made listening to songs fun again, not because they lack detail or drastically change the sound, they are more like a really dialed in club PA on your head.
They are very on comfortable to wear for hours and hours. The battery life is ridiculous, they do look quite nice, the Rode NTH-100 look like earmuffs and the m50x look kind of old to me at this point, and Beats still seem to be the trendy brand if you care about that sort of thing.