Need some suggestions for a $300 - $350 CPU upgrade

Hello everyone, so i’m thinking right now on selling to a friend of mine my 1155 motherboard and now that i’m working and saving some money i’m thinking on making an upgrade on the cpu, motherboard and also ram.

My current PC has an i3 2100, H77 motherboard and 8GB of RAM.

My budget for the upgrade as i said in the title would be about 300 to 350 at the most, i don’t earn to much in my part time job and i need to cover other expenses so i’m settle in between those amounts.

I was looking on a Ryzen 5 1500X combo but i don’t know which motherboard and RAM would be good to combine it. Anyway, i’m open on any suggestions.

My uses are: School (i’m studying CE so programming mostly), web surfing and that stuff, 1080p gaming and i will start getting on recording some stuff with my guitar for some musical projects, but it’s nothing too pro just for fun.

Thanks for reading!

How about this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FhrhRG
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($198.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $361.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-14 18:36 EST-0500
You can always add some extra ram later on and 8GB are enough as a start…
Also, the 6 core have way way larger lifespan than the quad cores.
Whatever you do, don’t buy slower than 2666 ram. There is definitely a reason people jump on high speed ram. But 2666 is kinda middle of the road between price and speed.

If you can hold on for a couple months (until april), there will be Ryzen Update, probably with higher clocks and probably better memory support, and there will be new motherboards on the market. Also a few days ago AMD have reduced the pricing of Ryzen, and it seems the note haven’t reached the retailers yet. So the CPUs should get cheaper soon…

Thanks for the suggestion, it’s a little over my budget but its only like 11 bucks so it’s fine.

I’m fine waiting for a little bit more, i’m going to get some peripherals first and other stuff not tech related but i would keep in mind your suggestion and for any price changes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would check and see if the Ram is on Asrock Ram compatible list for that board, the ram that @psycho_666 suggested isn’t as far as I can tell, the type known to be compatible with Ryzen.

Just about anything should hit 2666MHz at this point. Going above that is where things get dicey.

1 Like

I still would check, with the high cost of ram and Ryzen being so picky when it comes to ram better safe than sorry.

My point exactly.

It is both important and not really. That model ram is confirmed to work on that board. I made research for my own board (the full atx version) before buying my own ram.

Ryzen is picky with high speeds. 2666 for ddr4 is like 1600 for ddr3. Basically all 2666 ram should work no issues what so ever. 3000+ is another story.

1 Like

I thought Ryzen is picky about all ram except Samsung B Die.

I mean you sort of have to define picky in that instance.

I’m running 4x8 Hynix at 2933MHz with tighter timings than stock. Sure it’d probably run at 3200MHz on Intel, but we can’t pretend that they haven’t had their issues on (actually) new platforms in the past as well. I was fully prepared for teething issues on a brand new architecture.

We can probably say that Ryzen is still picky in general, but only compared to a well established uarch with multiple iterations and generational improvements. Zen+, Zen2 and Zen3 should all see these sorts of improvements IMO.

If you need a machine and have nothing then sure buy as above. If you can wait 2.5-3 months then AMD and intels reaction will happen. Not to mention Intel’s cluster fuck of problems will lead to something.

I read it is for school so I guess it must be settled before April/May so all I can say is AMD. But it is speculative human with the news I have read.

Look and see what Xeon’s are compatible with your mobo. They are the best, and possibly cheapest, upgrades you can get.

Hello guys sorry if i didn’t replied, i have time to wait for some the AMD new stuff and also too see what Intel also brings to the table in this year. I was looking to upgrade to another platform because i was going to sell my motherboard to a friend but i think it’s not going to happen so, i’m thinking on staying for a bit on the 1155 platform and get another things like an SSD for example, to save some money.

I will look on some of those used Xeons on ebay :slight_smile: thanks for the sugestion @FaunCB.

1 Like