Need some help setting up my vpn

I have been a happy PIA customer for several years. Using the service on Windows is brain dead simple as they have a program for the job. Running on Linux was equally as simple as they have a Linux app too. Thing is it's built with the assumption that Linux means Ubuntu...

I'm not running Ubuntu anymore as I have returned to PCLinuxOS (yes I know it's odd, I'm more than a little odd so it's fine)

Anyhow I need to set up the vpn manually preferably through the GUI wizard thingy. Thing is I'm really not sure what info goes in what dialog box.

OpenVPN here I guess

I guess name is an identifier, I guess I'm going to have to do this many times over for each of the endpoints

This one is what I'm stuck on, what goes where?

Not sure about this

Ah an end point, I think I know what happens next :)

So if someone can baby step me through this I would appreciate it.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

Do these configs not work in the "Import File" field?

Edit:

Or even this bottom config should work.

1 Like

the pkcs is your cert normally + the intermediate. then the root in in the CA part.
not sure why it asks for cert again after CA.
then the key.

the gateway is the vpns gateway. if you log into your PIA account it should list it.

1 Like

@PendragonUK I use a script that is on GitHub modified for Fedora from a Linux install. I have also been using PIA for a long time.

maybe you can use it or modify it for your Distro

just so happens i was looking for this information for a while to set up my vpn on kali... thanks!

From you VPn download the ovpn file, cert files, and key file. (probably comes in a zip or individually)

put them in ~/.pki

Either open network manager that KDE uses and add the VPN through there by importing the ovpn file, or use that control center program and add the ovpn file in as "import file"

1 Like

Gents, thanks for all of the input on this, I'll look at this tomorrow. It's late on Friday night here and some whisky has been drunk. Maybe not the best time to be messing with this now. :)

3 Likes

OK problem solved, I'm going to share the fix here because if there is one thing I hate it's searching the internet for a solution to a problem. Finding something similar and not getting an explanation, just someone saying it's fix with no explanation.

So here goes:

PIA have an program for both Windows and Linux. When they say Linux they really mean Ubuntu!
The install script using sudo command and if you are running a Linux distro without sudo the install script spits out errors.

I'm running PCLinuxOS it's an independant distro that shares some of it ancestry with Mandrake. A long lost Linux distro, no code but the guy that is responsible for PCLinuxOS was once the maintainer for a codec friendly spin of Mandrake.

On the PCLinuxOS forum there was a "fix" that had you edit the sudoers file allowing sudo to work without compromising the su command.

Extracts from the PCLinuxOS forum Source

PCLinuxOS does not use sudo by default. It uses su. I found a way to get around that while still keeping the security level of su.

To use Private Internet Access with PCLinuxOS, install the package sudo.

The PIA client file for Linux gets installed by the user, not root but it depends on having sudo access.

As root, edit the file /etc/sudoers and add the following lines. Be sure to change [username] to the non-root user name that will be using PIA.

[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/ifconfig
[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/openvpn
[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/chown
[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/chmod
[username] ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt-get

After saving the above changes you can now install the PIA Linux client.

=====================================================

Just don't fall into the trap I did and forget to install sudo first!

I am happy to report that the PIA indicator and vpn management software works without fault on PCLinuxOS with kde.