Need some direction on multi building network planning | Project Log

Update for you all… Will probably update the title to indicate a project log too.

Been under the first house drilling through foundation to get our bundle brought into the house. This one is an old farmhouse that was added onto 3 different times. So we have original foundation and brick exterior walls along with recent more modern foundation (rebar…) and stick framing. Never thought an 18" concrete drill bit would ever be too short.

PVC will get spray foam most likely before we bury the trench fully

Office will have most of the wired connections, about 7 in total. It is a large room where we want options for whatever use the office gets outside of day job.

Rest of the house would probably get a single drop per room and plentiful wifi coverage.

Pretty much ate up my Christmas vacation so now it’s back to the grind working for the weekend.

I will put money on the fact that you were going switch to switch (in the lab) and not through a cable panel?

If so, fibre pairs will need to be flipped (as this is usually done at one end of your fibre break out tray/panel). I’m assuming LC connectors? You can split the pairs and put them back the “other way around” on one end of an LC patch cable so that they will talk. I’d look up a how to youtube video for the LC connector changing, once you figure it out its not too hard, but until you do you may break a few connectors :smiley:

Unlike modern RJ45 copper based ethernet, fibre SFPs will not auto switch send/receive, so if you’re not going through a panel (or, in some cases, your cable guy is fucking stupid) you may need to flip the cable yourself.

Aside from that, dealing with fibre/LC connections is essentially almost identical to copper. Except the transceiver will maybe show some stats in your switch/router if the device supports it re: optical transport power, noise, etc.