Need sfx psu recommendations

so i have a very low power system that needs a new sfx psu.
its a asrock 3150-itx board, with a 6W fanless cpu.
also has a 250GB ssd and is fanless, this is mainly to be a media server (with files pulled from a NAS) so fanless or very quiet PSU’s are ideal.

i would expect this machine to draw less than 20W the majority of the time, with a likely max of 30W.
i need a sfx PSU to turn on at this thing at that low draw.
i had it in a minitower with a corsair 430W psu, but had to :
hook up 2 fans
the ssd
and a 2.5" hard drive
to get it to power on, the wattage was to low for it to turn on without all of those things attached.
a 400W earthwatts atx psu powers it fine, but wont fit in the sfx case i put the board in. currently its being powered by a tfx psu (150W) that is sitting externally beside the case.

ive looked at :
SEASONIC SSP-300SFB 300W 80 PLUS
FSP GROUP FSP300-60GHS-R
Silverstone SST-ST30SF-V2 300W SFX 80 PLUS BRONZE
Silverstone SST-ST45SF-V3
apevia series , but they all have bad reviews due to fan noise/coil whine
some pico-psu’s that use a external power brick, id like to stay away from these if possible as that will leave a large hole in the back of the case (could build a block off plate, but that seems like work lol)

trying to keep it under ~$80 us shipped

suggestions and comments welcomed.

edit
ive had terrible luck with cheap PSU’s and the one that came with this case is a APEX AL-8250SFX.

it failed almost immediately with the 5 volt rail going away (and then coming back) causing blue screens. took a long while to figure that out. rosewill wanted it all back (case and all) , and i had to pay shipping , (it was a build for someone else).

so i bought a different minitix case and put a gold tfx psu in that case to get them their computer back in an expedient manner, keeping the old case and trashing the PSU.

I’ve heard nothing but good about seasonic. I ended up getting one to power a car audio amp for the sub in my home theater system. It hasn’t popped yet and I would consider my use case “abusive”.

1 Like

I haven’t heard anything bad about Seasonic, Silverstone, FSP, or Corsair SFX power supplies.

Would the TFX power supply fit in the case if it had an SFX sized bracket? That would be the cheapest route.

no its too long i tried that already.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADZJ7F09799&cm_re=sfx_seasonic--1HU-00YV-00013--Product

Something like this should be fine and the gold rating should get you decent efficiency.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure there is a dummy load in the BIOS if it is anything like the ASRock N3150M. If you can get it started enough to do that then it should work with any PSU. You could just load up a bunch of HDD’s and fans or something.

That being said, I use Pico PSU’s on most of my machines and they are pretty awesome.

I bought the seasonic gold psu as suggested. Thank you for the ideas

1 Like