Need recovery media for Toshiba P50C-12Z

My friend’s laptop crashes and gets the Blue screen of death whenever we try to turn on the laptop, it loads like normal for a bit showing the Toshiba logo and the loading sign go round and round, but then after a while BSOD.
Then windows goes into automatic repairs but after a few more seconds we get permanent black screen.

Im pretty sure the hdd is dead i tested it on my pc and laptop and it appears to be dead. If it wasnt dead I would of cloned it to a ssd. Now I have a spare ssd and i need to install the right media and software on it to make it work. What do I need to put in my ssd?

Do I put in the toshiba installation recovery media? But on the website for that it says don’t bother installing on something new because there will be nothing to recover. ( I tried this and unzipped the file onto my ssd are there any more steps?

Hmm, maybe just reinstall Windows 10 / Linux / BSD and the applications you need … If HDD is dead, you won’t get anything back.
Just mount the SSD in the laptop and install the operating system.

How exactly do I do that? I tried already putting in a new ssd, and plugging in a usb with the windows ISO that i installed using rufus.

I previously used the usb to install windows on my pc, can i just do the same with my laptop then?
Cause I tried doing that, and booting from usb first (as it detects the usb and ssd correctly) and it just says no bootable media please restart.

Mount the SSD in the laptop instead of the damaged HDD.
Download “media creation tool” from microsoft.com.
Run MCT on your PC and start the procedure, select ISO / USB creation.
Use some clean USB stick and select it as the place where MCT will create the installer.
Wait for everything to download and perform.
On the laptop, go to bios and set the boot device to this flash drive as the first.
Then boot the laptop normally and the W10 installer will start from this pendrive.
Choose a place to install on SSD and continue.
After installation, update. Windows may download the drivers you need.

You must have the activation key for W10. The installation itself can be done without a key, but you must activate later.

I tried this already, but the pc just resets when i ask it to boot from usb first.

Have you used the media creation tool? If not then try …
PC reboots or laptop?
Is the laptop able to run any live linux distro?

Im gonna try put linux on it instead, Im used to installing windows onto new pcs, but never linux im gonna give it a shot.

I don’t urge you to install linux. I am just asking as a test on the condition of the laptop itself to eliminate a possible problem and not chase own tail. :wink:
Download MCT and try to prepare the W10 installer again. It must work if everything is properly done and the laptop works ok.
Alternatively, you can connect this SSD to your PC and install W10 and then move the disk. Or how I sometimes do it … Install W10 in a virtual machine, prepare OS and create a disk image, then restore the backup image to the target machine where W10 will improve installations for the new machine and download drivers.

That seems overly complicated. How does installing windows 10 via a pc onto a ssd, and then transferring the ssd into the laptop make it work?
I thought if you installed it on the pc the settings and how it operates will be for pc, and if you do it on a laptop it will will set it up for a laptop.

In theory, yes, but …
Windows 10 is, say, flexible enough that when we talk about a clean system, it is more or less possible to transfer it to another computer. At the first start, it will usually repeat some installation / configuration procedures for new equipment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it may not work.

But this is rather an option if for some strange reason you are unable to run the installer on this laptop. But I still recommend checking out MCT from MS, not just relying on rufus.

1 Like

I always wanted to experiment with linux, i’ve never used it before.

So i Will try that and see if it works.

Windows is still my preference so I’ll try MCT afterwards.

Ok. Let us know what this battle looks like at the end. :wink:

1 Like

Will do, just giving it a while for everything to load.

Worked this time, but I had to set the boot options from uefi to CSM for some reason. It wouldn’t let me install windows 10 on to the ssd connected to the sata port directly because of wrong partition type or whatever.

Well … UEFI can boot from a GPT disk, not MBR. Which would explain why the laptop could not see the boot media if it was MBR, although rufus has options for eufi.
Just try to disable CSM after installing W10. If you care about the eufi functions but then you need to convert W10 partitions from MBR to GPT.