Need opinions regarding some options i have for an upgrade

Hello everyone, i hope it’s the correct category to post this. So i recently made a thread explaining that i’m going to upgrade my current CPU, and i3 2100, and i was looking for some suggestions right there. Some of you suggested to go for a Ryzen CPU but with some expenses on my way i had the need to lower my budget. At first i was thinking on going for a Ryzen 3 CPU but with the prices of DDR4 ram the total cost of the upgrade didn’t convince me to get something new.

So I already have 8GB of DDR3 so i looked on ebay to see what i could found and so far these 3 CPU got my attention. First the i7 2600, the i5 3570k and then the i7 3770S. I found them pretty cheap and eventually i would need to get also the motherboard with the CPU.

So the main question, from those 3 options which one would be the better buy? Again, the case scenario would be gaming at 1080p (GPU is a GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB i will upgrade the card later) and a little use of guitar amp sims. General use and university school work i do it on my laptop.

Thanks for reading

Unless you have a Z-series board the i5 k model isn’t going to do you a lot of good but in terms of longevity I would just go for the i7 3770S. An extra two cores/four threads are going to feel great. After that i3.

Also the 3770S has the highest boost clock.

Thanks for the reply, atm no i don’t have one. I was thinking if i choose the i5 to go for a Z77 mothreboard but the most cheap one i found was for about $115 or a Z68 for about $89 usd but if i go for the 3770S i would go for a much cheaper H77 motherboard and yeah i’m aiming more for longevity this case because i don’t upgrade that often so i will stay with the CPU for a while and just upgrade the other components like storage or GPU.

What motherboard are you running currently?

Sorry for the late response, the motherboard i have currently is a OEM H61 i think from a HP pre built but i will need to get a motherboard also with the CPU because i moded this SFF computer to fit the GPU and i’m only using a fan on the side of the heatsink (the stock Intel doesn’t fit) so this is only a temporal solution until i get both parts

If you have to switch platform it makes no sense to stay on ancient tech. Go Ryzen would be my advice, the new APUs might even outperform your 650Ti.

1 Like

Yeah i kinda agree in this case.
Allthough something like a 3770K is still a pretty competitive gaming cpu,
especially wenn overclocked.

But yeah non the platform upgrades are really going to be a significant stepup in gaming performance,
if he doesnt upgrade his gpu with it aswell.
I mean even the fastest gaming cpu on the market right now the 8700k,
isnt going to do much wonders to the 650Ti.

Well i just made the purchase, got an i5 3570k as the upgrade for my i3. I hoped to go Ryzen for my upgrade but honestly i needed to make a quick upgrade atm so i can get back to use my case and not this mess of a mod on the SFF lol. Also i need to cover other expenses so i was very limited on my budget. So I will stay for a while with this CPU and now I will next upgrade the GPU and maybe get a SSD in the future. Maybe my next upgrade would be either AMD or Intel depending of my needs.