Need Help: WRX80 Creator 00 error code out of the blue?

Hello, I was tweaking some fan settings via the IMPI on my WRX80 motherboard workstation, and all of a sudden it just turned off. The computer has been working just fine with no issues for 5 months or so now. When I turn it on, things power up, the GPU lights up, fans spin, but it won’t post, and the last error code is 00. I know that’s CPU related, but seems strange to just do that out of the blue when it’s been working fine? I removed all but 1 stick of ram, CPU is 5965wx, 1600w EVGA PSU, using ICE GEM 360 liquid cooler. I hit the rest and Clear CMOS buttons to the same effect. I’m worried in adjusting the fans, maybe the pump or something accidentally got turned off and that may have damaged the CPU? Not sure if that’s even possible? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated!

First thing I’d check is that all the aux 12v power cables are making good connection in their connectors. If that doesn’t turn up anything I’d re-seat the CPU; I’ve seen thermal cycles shift a cpu around enough it made bad contact.

Thanks for the reply, actually took it to microcenter to try to troubleshoot. They threw in a stick of slow server RAM and it booted right up! So at first they thought RAM, but then it would just turn off without warning and we noticed the cooler pump was super hot. So the running theory now is a pump failure. They thought maybe it was too hot to boot, so it threw the 00 code even though the CPU was still working, it was just too hot. I ordered another cooler, will swap it out and see what happens.

1 Like

That definitely sounds plausible, perhaps after the pump failed air accumulated at the cold plate from constant boiling off of liquid with no pump action under the CPU heat load; with no liquid on the cold plate it’s thermal mass was low so that the CPU over temp’d before posting. When you moved the machine the liquid found its way into the cold plate again from the movement and provided enough thermal mass to get past post before boiling off again while at microcenter.

I may be a failure analysis nerd.

Pump failure seems plausible. What those small pumps like the least is to change their speed since it puts quite some strain on them. I guess when you changed fan speeds you might have touched the pump speed and that gave the rest to an already failing pump.

Apart from that I wanted to ask, if you are sure 00 is the only code that the display outputs when you try to start. I am a bit puzzled since according to your motherboards manual this is not a featured debug code.

Nice analysis haha
I was trying to figure out a way to see if the pump is in fact dead or my mobo just isn’t supplying enough juice to get it going, but im not real sure how to do that. Also when the pump was working i couldn’t hear or feel it, so who knows. Its not that much to totally replace it so I’ll start with that.

It rolls theough a TON of codes, I assume most if not all are status codes vs error codes. 00 was just the last one it would sit on before power off. It wouldn’t really sit on any others except for 42, but thats not an error code.
I had a previous computer that would show the cpu temp after it posted to bios, wish this one did that! This one just turns the read out off once it posts.

Any updates?

Reseat your cpu

Update/SOLVED:
I believe 00 was resulting because the CPU was too hot to be allowed to boot. When cpu was left to sit for hours, it would boot into windows, but then quickly shutdown.

Short version of the fix: I messed up the fan settings and was undervolting the pump causing it to burn out and overheat the CPU, swapped in an air cooler to re-adjust settings, and then put new AIO on.

Long version: a fan setting in the BMC/IPMI settings was in fact under-powering the pump causing it to over heat and burn out. In the process of trouble-shooting, I reset the BIOS settings and CMOS chip, but never was able to really reset the BMC/IMPI settings to factory. And because of that, I couldn’t get BMC back on and accessible before the CPU would over heat. So my solution was to install a temp air cooler, mess with the settings, upgrade BIOS and firmware etc. till every thing was fine and then swap on the new AIO (I returned the burned out AIO).
Now everything seems to be working just as before, and actually I added some more fans and did a little case mod and it’s running cooler and quieter than before!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.