Need help with the DP KVM I bought

Hi.

I am not sure this is the place or not, but under support, it seems that it is monetary support for L1, not customer support.

I ordered a 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Single Monitor - Two Computer to replace the IOGear one I had. I am sharing between a Windows PC and my work Laptop with Windows. I share the center of 3 monitors. I just changed to the new switch, and it does something a little disturbing. When I switch to the Windows PC from the laptop, the center screen switchs as I would like, but the right screen, which is attached directly to the laptop docking station, blanks and switches to the laptop screen. I expected the laptop monitor to stay working and not switch to the laptop screen. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks.

You can download a utility called persistent windows and it will restore the config after you switch back.

If you want to prevent your laptop from knowing that you removed a monitor when you switched you can add level1tech repeater between the laptop and KVm then the laptop won’t know you’ve switched inputs.

2 Likes

Hi Wendell

The problem isn’t when I switch back. It is when I switch away from the laptop, it takes both of my monitors with it. So, is the level1tech repeater going to stop that? Thanks.

Never mind. I think I understand the issue.

If I am understanding your first message correctly, when you switch the middle screen to the Windows PC with the KVM the content on the right screen (connected directly to the laptop) moves to the laptop’s built in screen and disables the right monitor? That sounds like Windows on the laptop isn’t sure what to do with that “new” configuration of screens. If you try changing the display settings the way you want it to be when the middle monitor is “removed” it should react correctly.
Alternatively the repeater that Wendell mentioned should work too.

1 Like