Need help with school project - SSL vs non-SSL network traffic

No problem!

I would suggest that you look into Debian (without a graphical interface) for your VMs, as that is what you would end up using on a server.

I would also recommend that you look into Nginx. It's much faster for static content and allows you to use HHVM for PHP (also really fast). If you plan to continue into the realm of PHP, then definitely go for Nginx and HHVM at the beginning. Also, choose a real framework for advanced projects (don't waste your time managing your requires and database functions). I like Laravel. Also, always remember that MySQL is not the only option. There are countless alternatives. I've had good luck with both PostgreSQL and MariaDB. The problem with most PHP tutorials is that they lock you in on the LAMP/XAMP stack. Don't become narrow-minded like I did.

Good luck and have fun!

I've read Debian is more stable than Ubuntu, do you find that to be true?

I'm not familiar at all with Nginx, I'll have to look into it. What do you think of CentOS? I don't know much about it either, but I think I heard it's supposed to be really secure.

Also, am I correct in thinking that on a "production" server, being one in which you actually host a live, public facing site, you don't want any sort of desktop GUI, as it would increase the attack surface?