Need help with a server build

i'm looking to update my home/ small business server. my server right now is used as a nas with zfs, and a live tv backend built on mythbuntu. my current system is a old AMD Phenom II X4 965 with 32gb of ram.

i just had my first hdd in my zfs go out and it made me wish i had a proper server case with hot swap able hdd bays. it seems like it mite be a better idea to just buy a used server then trying to add hs bays.

so this is what i would like my "new" sever to do

tv backend

2 zfs2 pools with 6 sata drives

i would like to also figure out how to have a watch folder to do video transcode jobs. the main reason i have the nas right know is to store all my video footage because i make promo videos for my small business. right now i trans code video on my workstation to prores for editing. but i would like the server to do this. is there a good way to do this under linux?

last i want to have a 10gb copper from server to my work station. and a 10gb from server to a switch for the rest of the network

so i was looking at something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/152510916409
what do you guys think? to much to little? what about a cheap 10gb nic card for linux?
that listing says it has no raid controller, do i need one for zfs? is there a better used sever i should be looking for that has 12 bays for 3.5 hdds?

if you haven't noticed the goal is as cheap as possible!

very capable for nas and tv backend purposes, but I couldn't tell you if it has enough horsepower for transcoding

Yes and no. ZFS prefers direct access to the drives and a raid controller normally doesn't offer this. Get a HBA card or a raid controller which can be flashed into IT mode to make it behave like a HBA. The IBM M1015 is a popular example.

Maybe not better but a dell c2100 can be obtained very cheap, especially if you build it (partially) yourself.

extensive topic on the freenas forum:

1 Like