Need help with a networking issue

Hello all. I have a network issue that has occurred that might be able to be solved with a second router.

On my network I have 2 desktops, 1 laptop, 13 phones, 3 tablets, 1 iPod, and a Chromecast. 10 of these phones are constantly using up WiFi.

Usually my connection is 17 down and 1 up and around 20 ms ping ( results from speed test). When I have the 10 phones using the WiFi that they use it drops to 15 down and 1 up and at least on speed test only adds 1ms of ping.

The issue becomes if I try to play a game online (I discovered the issue in BF4 where its most prelevant) my ping will be a normal 20-30 ms and then it constantly jumps up to 250+ ping which leads to the game being completely unplayable. If I stop my 10 phones my ping goes back to normal and everything is fine.

I I had been recommended that I could get a second router, hook my PC up to it and set QoS to allow my PC to get highest priority. I would have my 10 phones on my original router.

Would this setup work? If so could someone recommend a router to get for this. If this wouldn't work could somebody recommend a setup that would work?

Are all your devices connecting over WiFi?

If so, you've simply got too much connected to the WiFi to handle stable connections. In which case get a better AP.

As for the QoS idea, doing it that way will not help. Quality of Service only deals with what is connecting through the device running the service. So connecting all the phones to the primary routing device and then the computer the second will not help. You would require to run QoS on the primary router as to properly manage all the traffic.

Personally QoS in my experience on consumer grade routers just does not work well nor reliably just to limited memory issues.

Anyway, to give a better solution I really need a more detailed description (or diagram) or your current setup.

Every device except for my PC which is connected via ethernet.

I will try and describe it as best as i can though im not sure how well it will come out. lets just disregard most of the devices i originally said as they arent big internet users and arent part of the main problem. Lets just look at my PC which is connected via ethernet and then 10 of my phones which are connected via wifi. All 10 of these phones run a app that constantly streams video and ads. When these phones are running this app which streams these videos that is when the ping spikes occur. If i go and just get off the app on these phones still leaving them connected to the wifi and on just not actively using up bandwith than my ping will go back to a normal stable amount.

Also if it helps as to determine if my router is the issue the router i have is the motorola sbg6850 (i suppose its actually a router/modem combo).

Also in detail is i have these 10 phones which are playing the videos. I have my own personal phone which i just use normally, there are 2 other phones in the household that are used normally, there is a ipod and a kindle that are used normally, there is a wii that is usually not even on and connected to the wifi, a chromecast which is used to watch netflix, along with a laptop that is usually on and connected to the wifi but never doing anything even slightly significant. Then i have a nexus 7 which i use normally, i have a windows tablet that i use normally, and finally i have a second PC that is on and connected via wifi that i am currently mainly using as a storage server.

I meant network topology (should of been clearer).

Is your central point the Motorola? I have heard nothing but bad things about those all in one combo units. So just to confirm this motorola box is acting as the modem, router, switch and access point? If so, thats the problem. You're simply overloading it.

Your best bet would be to get another router and switch the motorola to just act as a modem (bridging the WAN to the new Router).

Although the motorola has some QoS settings (under WMM), they only seem to affect the wireless portion of its operability.

Yes. Everything is all within that box. We used to have a separate router and modem a few years back but we needed to move where the router was (it is currently in my room) and when they did the replaced our router and modem with this sbg6850 all in one.

I actually was looking into that and for whatever reason mine dosent have the QoS settings. (i have seen pictures of other people having QoS settings on this router). Under WMM for me all i get is WMM suport on or off, no-acknowledgment on or off, and power save support on or off.

Turning WMM on and saving should make the settings appear. However they are very finicky to setup and would not aid the issue to the wireless clients affect the wired client.

I have WMM on, no-acknowledgment off, and power save support on. No matter what the settings are put on nothing appears in terms of QoS.

Is bridging the WAN easy?

Also what router would you suggest that i get?

That's odd, must be some undocumented variances within firmware versions. (Quite infuriating)

Bridging the WAN connections from those Motorola's is well documented with many people having written the steps to doing so. LINK

I haven't used consumer routers in quite sometime now, so I am a little out of the loop. SmallNetBuilder however reviews A LOT of routers and NAS equipment. It has a nice built out chart of routers throughput and also how they ranked in review. Its handy as they have listed the price (at time of review) of each unit, so making a choice should be quite easy.

That modem/router is dual band. Are you using both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If you aren't, you should make sure that both radios are enabled so that you can connect all mobile devices that support 5GHz to the 5GHz wifi network, while leaving those that dont connected to the 2.4GHz network in order to spread your load.

Im not sure if they are both enabled or not. This is what the configuration page looks like atm: http://i.imgur.com/62Am0R3.png

On the "802.11 band" option, is there an option for 2.4 + 5. Or just one or the other?

Its just 2.4 or 5 not a both option

Wow. That's unfortunate. That would've been an easy potential fix for any congestion-related issues. If you have a relatively lively home network, like the one you've detailed, definitely make sure that you use an access point that allows for simultaneous dual-band operation or replace your modem/router combo with an after market one that isnt provided by your ISP.

So i just got my new router today, the asus rt-n66u, i enabled QoS on it and set my computer to highest priority (along with connecting all other supported devices to the 5ghz band) but yet the issue still persists on battlefield 4, just ever so slightly less.

How is the network now setup?

I have my Motorola sbg6850 running as my modem and my new asus rt n66u running as the router. My main PC is connected via eternet to the router. my phone, second computer, both of my tablet are all connected to the 5ghz band. the 10 "problem" phones are connected to the 2.4ghz band along with all the other devices (currently a laptop and 2 other phones but a chromecast, a ipod, and a kindle will soon enter the mix).

I have went into the asus router config and enabled QoS and set my PC to the highest priority along with setting the 10 problem phones to lowest priority.

Within the QoS, have you adequately setup the Bandwidth available and modified the percentages for each QoS priority?

Also, what protocol and destination ports have you used?

QoS Priorities: http://i.imgur.com/Te0fzaf.png

QoS Rules: http://i.imgur.com/s479POh.png

Your problem in regards to Battlefield is the fact you haven't set a "Source IP or MAC". As ports 80 and 443 are HTTP and HTTPS (standard web ports) other devices will be caught in the rule as well. Along with the other "Web surf" and "HTTPS" rules. Thus being set too highest priority on occasion. (Basically, you have overlapping rules that affect all devices)

If your machine is the "Jalen" machine, remove the battlefield specific rules and see how it all fairs. And lower the priority on the "Web Surf" and "HTTPS" rules.

Ok. I remove the battlefield rules, and set web surf and https to medium. I went back into game and everything is still the same