Return to Level1Techs.com

Need Help: Trying Graphics Card passthrough via IOMMU with Error 43 in Windows

Read every guide on creating a Windows 10 guest under Linux passing through a graphics card using IOMMU. Spent a day gettings so far.

I can boot Windows but only if do not use the hyperv, kvm sections / tags and also do not the timer name=‘hypervclock’ present=‘yes’ option in the clock section.

If I delete all those entries. Windows boots, but my Nvidia card has the dreaded error 43 in device manager.

I am using kernel 5.1.15-arch1-1-ARCH, qemu 4.0.0-2, libvirt 5.4.0-1

My current and booting libvirt xml is on pastebin dot com slash zYUtFLK2

The hardware is:

Intel i5-4690K which is exclusivly used by the host
Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX is passed to the windows guest and should be guest exclusive.
Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac board (supports vt-d).

lspci -nnk -d 10de:0e22
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] [10de:0e22] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC [1462:2322]
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
Kernel modules: nouveau

So my problem is that the usually proposed solutions to this error are specifying things in those sections. I tried that of course, but I got only black screens

0 Likes

When I first looked at GPU passthrough, I contacted Nividia’s community forum. I was told my Geforce GTX 580 didn’t have the necessary BIOS information or something like that, and it was only the 700 series or later that might be able to set up a passthrough system.

1 Like

To be honest, Nvidia 460 simply may not work, i tried VFIO with Nvidia 450 originally, it would not initialize, only if i booted linux from USB, then after booting it would start showing video. Windows went just BSODs in background. As post above says, it has old, incompatible bios

1 Like

Thank you all. Follwoing your advice I just gave up and bought a used gtx 1080!

1 Like