Need help setting up Dual Booting with three Linux distributions

Hi everyone I know I haven’t posted in this forum for a long time, but I need some help setting up Linux on my Laptop. First I am going to update everyone on my current situation. About a month ago I used google to search for the web address for the developers of Nero, I clicked on the link for the developers and landed on what appeared to be the developer’s web site. I download the trial version of Nero and preceded to install the download file. Keep in mind at no time did Windows defender give any warning that the file I download was Malware. The only time I did get a warning from Windows defender was during the install but the damage was already done. I lost complete control of my computer, my Facebook account was hacked, and someone gained access to my network. I know this because after about two weeks after the incident I receive a notice from my IPS provider someone was downloading movies that hadn’t even been released yet. I finally fixed this problem by replacing the SSD in my laptop with two new ones, and installing Windows10 reinstalling all my programs. I also tighten the security on my modem as tightly as I could. I plan in the future to replace my modem with an Enterprise level Router when I can raise the funds. But the discussion of what Enterprise level Router to purchase to replace my current consumer level router with have to wait for a different post.

Now back to the reason for this post. I would like to set up Linux on my brand new second SSD. Since my new SSD can hold up to 1GB of information I thought why not go ahead and install three different Distribution of Linux on it. I have decided on which three distribution I want to install. They are Ubuntu (or a Ubuntu derivative), Fedora, and Manjaro so I can take advantage of the several arch guides on the internet. I know I should remove my SSD that has Windows 10 copied on from my laptop first before I try and install any Linux distribution, but I am a little fuzzy on how I would set up a dual boot situation if I remove my SSD that has Windows 10 on. I guess the real reason for this post is I need a guide that would show me step by step how to setup dual booting (Windows 10 and three different Linux distribution) on my Laptop. Thanks, I advance for any help you can provide.

In my experience dual/multi booting works best on UEFI machines, where each OS is installed in UEFI mode, each OS has its own independent drive and you allow the UEFI to control booting. Obviously, you can only fit a limited number of drives into a laptop, though.

I admire your enthusiasm, but before jumping into this complexity. might I suggest that you install a single Linux distribution onto your spare disk and get some familiarity with how Linux works, first? On your second install (unless you are breaking things, you’re not learning), try manually partitioning your drive, so that you have a separate /home partition (this makes re-installing and multi-boot setups easier). And then on a subsequent install, once you have devised a partitioning scheme, which will accommodate multiple distributions, go ahead and jump into multi-booting with both feet.

By the way, the main difference in Linux distributions is the tool/method of installing and updating software. If you install the GNOME desktop, for instance and decide that you really want Xfce, you don’t typically need to find a new distro, you can typically just install an additional desktop. Very little distinguishes Linux distributions these days, apart from whether they are a rolling release, or not.

3 Likes

if you don’t want to think about it, I can’t recommend ReFind enough.

auto detects any OS you throw at it and just chainloads the native bootloader instead of trying to get you to add entries.

1 Like

My 3.14 cents:

1. I can’t tell you what you need, but I wouldn’t buy an enterprise router for a home network. And sounds like the vulnerability wasn’t your wireless encryption anyway.
  2. As you probably already realize, if you make the switch to linux (or just start using it somewhere), you can get most of your software from trusted repositories and won’t have to worry so much about opening yourself up to attacks; may find you don’t need things like Nero anyway.
  3. There is a huge amount of info already written here and on the web about hardening security and multi-booting OS; develop your google-fu. Also what worked for me may not work for you anyway - be prepared with multiple resources if you try this.
  4. As BarkingMad already said the differences between the distros you mentioned may not turn out to be worth the effort and I agree with their recommendation(s). However, if you are the sort of person that enjoys spending all night figuring things out, won’t throw your laptop through the wall if it doesn’t work out the first night, just want to do it to do it/etc - you don’t have to let something as silly as a lack of actual necessity stop you :smiley:
  5. Depending on your hardware (particularly graphics or networking cards), you may find one of your choices may work out a lot easier than another - I recommend booting to live environments first to verify compatibility/see might work well for you.
2 Likes

Thanks @astra; I completely skipped over the router situation and I forgot to circle back.

I would agree that you don’t need to go the full enterprise route, but if you have your heart set on this route, my personal favorite is pfSense. You can assemble your own hardware and download/install their software, much as you would a Linux distribution. Or, you can purchase a turn-key unit directly from Netgate. It is capable of many enterprise grade functions, such as intrusion detection, but it does not have the enterprise grade price tag.

The option that I typically recommend to folks who either don’t need the advanced features, or who don’t like to tinker, is Ubiquiti. I particularly like their wireless access points, as well as their Edge routers. If you are into the whole Software Defined Networking thing, you might be interested in their Unify line of routers and switches, as they can be configured by the same utility as is used by their wireless access points.

The thing that I like about Ubiquiti, apart from offering decent, reliable hardware, is their software support. They are constantly releasing both feature and security updates for their hardware. Their hardware is not much more expensive than consumer grade equipment, but it is honestly all you really need for any SOHO deployment.

1 Like

I was planning to install all operating software in UEFI Mode, unfortunately, because of my poor eyesight, I am almost sure I won’t be able to use any Linux distribution. I tried to install Kubuntu this morning but because of the increased complexity of laptops, the fact I have to connect an external monitor to my laptop for my poor eyesight, the installation didn’t go well. The reason I choose Kubuntu was because of the increased support for multi-monitors, at least that is what I have heard. I guess I will wait until I am able to build a desktop before using Linux.
Thanks, everyone for your help.

I guess I didn’t make my self very clear in my first post, You are partly right the first intrusion wasn’t through wireless encryption, they first got control of the Cincinnati Bell provided router, disabled the administrative account, and set up complete control of my network. When I found out what was happening, I replaced the Cincinnati Bell router with a new one from Cincinnati Bell. Setup a more secured administrative account and password, but I forgot to change the default password for the Wifi so that is how they got in the second time. Since about a week I haven’t gotten any notifications from Cincinnati Bell telling me someone is downloading software they shouldn’t. I am still going to replace my Cincinnati Bell provided router with Enterprise level gear. The reason I am going to do this is because most consumer level gear’s firmware never gets upgraded once it leaves the factory.

I guess it depends on your definition enterprise-grade price tags, For me and my needs a Netgate turn-key unit would cost somewhere between $1,000 to $2,000 dollars. When your budget is only $3,000 dollars total to upgrade your network, a turnkey solution from Netgate is too expensive. I have looked at custom firewall appliances (which allow you to install your own custom firewall software) on Amazon, which seems to be a more affordable option.

Also, there are some disadvantages (for me at least) in using Pfsense or Opensense, both Pfsense and Opensense don’t implement SQOS (Smart Quality of Service) very well. At least that is what I have heard. I do need to use SQOS for my network needs so I plan to try Pfsense and Opensense in a virtual machine first before I purchase any equipment. I am also going to try Ipfire and another custom firewall software called Sopos.

I was thinking about getting Ubiquiti switch or maybe since I am working on my CCNA I might purchase a Cisco switch. I also plan on purchasing a couple of Ubiquiti access points.

Sorry to hear that you had problems with your first install attempt. Perhaps if you help us understand what went wrong, we can give you a hand.

The Netgate SG1100 and SG3100 models, for instance, are a far cheaper option than you quote and are just as feature rich. Have a look at this page.
https://www.pfsense.org/products/

BTW - IMHO, the QOS feature of pfSense works great. It is the original reason I adopted pfSense, because I have such a slow Internet connection.

I tried using a live USB stick to load up Kubuntu with my external Monitor attached to the external slot on my Laptop. Everything seemed to work until Kubuntu reached its login screen. What happened is the laptop display worked fine. The external Monitor only displayed the right half of the screen the laptop screen was displaying. Then after a few minutes, both screens went blank. I think the problem is the fact laptops are more complicated than desktops. The laptop I am using is an Asus ROG G75vw.

The Netgate SG1100 and the SG3100 models don’t fit my use case for my network. For one thing, I need two Wan slots and at least 4 lan slots. The cheapest Netgate devices that might work for me are the SG-5100 or the XG-7100, I will have to do more research into them. So far a custom firewall appliance that will allow me to install my own firewall software would be the cheapest option.

Well if you are talking about just main QOS then yes Pfsense and Opensense do handle that type of traffic very well. But when you start talking about SQS (Smart Quality of Service) it isn’t the case. The implication of SQS on both Pfsense and Opensense is kind of broken, at least that is what has been explained to me. I am still going to load up both in a virtual machine and see if I can get either of them to fulfill my needs. I have included two YouTube videos to this post so maybe make it more clear what I am trying to accomplish.

who?

ok

Triple booting works. Theres not as much a reason to stack linuxes on top of linuxes, but it can still work. Set all your partitions manually, don’t write to MBR until your last OS is going to be installed, voila.

I at one point had a pentium laptop that I tortured just to see how many things I could get it to do. At one point there were 20 bootable OS’s installed and 7 unbootable ones.

Gotcha. Agreed that telecommunications co routers are trash. And your peace of mind is undoubtedly worth whatever you feel you need to invest in it. I live at the end of a cul de sac in a rural area, so wireless encryption/etc isn’t a big concern. But if I lived, say, in the middle of the city, in a flat on top of of a coffee shop - I would probably feel differently about my current level of security/protection. Everything is relative. Which is why I wouldn’t presume to tell you what you ought to do :smiley:

2 Likes