Need help selecting network hardware for house

no, there IS bridge mode. You just have to have the correct router. I already confirmed the bridge mode in the router interface. Oh, and the only other option in the area is Dial up. You must have one crappy connection area or something. Because I have tested multiple times during random times. Peak hours. non-peak hours. Always getting 650Mbps+ Symmetrical on the Cat5 connection. Wireless connection is more like 50Mbps/25Mbps.

Id say you got stuck with a crap gateway model or a broken gateway. Perhaps you didnt actually get them to replace it? My folks have had Gigapower for over 2 years now. Im just tired of having to hack together my own Wifi-bridge every time I stay over in the loft.

The only box available for me in this area is the 5268. Unless there’s a new one with bridge mode the only ones that have it are 2-3 generations old.

I have heard of it, but I don’t have any experience with it, so I can’t really have an opinion on it. I watch the video I attached below early this morning and I can now give you an opinion on Opensense. My opinion is you would be better off eighter setting up IPTables and packet routing in some flavor of Linux or going with Pfsense than using OpenSense. Watch the Video I attached and you will understand why.

1 Like

I guess I am very lucky to have Cincinnati Bell as my ISP, because so far I haven’t run into the same issues as @_hill. The only issue I frequently have is the router temporarily losing its connection with Cincinnati Bell’s Edge Router, but that is a quick and easy fix.

Well theirs is a 5268AC as well. Hardware revision 260-2173300.
The Bridge mode (though in reality PACE routers dont actually have one) is called “Supplementary Network”. In this area located under Broadband you can add additional routers as well as setup Cascaded routers.

Link to PACE Manuals
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AB3eQrU-FIhio6Q&id=6EF9B5E6C7C15B1!12056&cid=06EF9B5E6C7C15B1

According to Sonic.net, Old versions of the firmware, used the ip address 192.168.1.254. Whereas the new versions use the IP address http://192.168.42.1

According the Sonic.net:

To bridge the gateway:

• Log into the RG’s interface at http://192.168.42.1 (old versions of hardware that used original firmware use 192.168.1.254)
  • Click the “Broadband” icon
  • Click “Link Configuration”
  • Under “Routing” uncheck the box labeled “Enable (Default is enabled. Routing disabled = Bridge mode)”
  • Click “Save”
  • Reboot the gateway.

The only other alternative I can see here is to bypass the router replacement and add a large POE injection switch and POE APs. The PACE router handles Gigabit Ethernet traffic just fine.

That’s with the default firmware. ATT puts a custom firmware on the 5268.

Also if you read your link it clearly states there is no bridge mode. Only DMZ and IP pass-through. Which is the problem.

Everything still goes through their router which is a bottleneck. And I used to work at ATT and people complained from the beginning about these boxes and we all knew they sucked.

Which if you read my post thoroughly you would have noticed that I stated that it didnt actually have Bridge mode. It is something that is similar to a bridge mode.

Regardless, the router functions well enough as a wired router. It just blows as a wireless router. Wired speeds are well into the 700Mbps+ range consistently. You just live in a shitty area. Must be ATT oversold your node. Out where my folks are, they dont have that problem. When the town can be missed if you dont pay attention, you wont have the over selling issue. Not to mention the Fiber line is right outside their house. really convenient. Was originally run for the local school but then ATT was granted funds for rural deployment and randomly picked a spot on the map and the town was it.

Ive already decided to leave the Router as is and go with a Switch and AP setup and kill the Router’s AP.
You may have worked at ATT. I used to work at Dell. Things change. Dell sucked when I worked there. Now, I wouldnt mind using a Dell.