Need help rooting my Nvidia shield tablet

So I was finally able to get my hands an shield tabket, it's been out of stock for nearly the whole year. Apparently someone on Amazon was buying up all the stock as soon as they became available and scalping them for $100 more. I'm slowly getting the hand of Android again, last Android device I owned was an HTC EVO 4G. Does anyone know a quick and easy way to root this? I just got this on friday, don't wanna risk getting stuck in the bootloader like I did several times with my old EVO.

Yeah idk at all man. Why, might I ask, did you get a Shield tablet?

1 Like

I agree, there are better tablets you can buy now, since that came out a while ago. Plus they were recalled because of a battery problem IIRC. Better check if you have a post recall model or not.

That being said, here you are m8

Step 2: How can I tell if my unit is affected by the recall?:

The recall applies only to tablets with a certain battery type. Once you’ve verified that you’re running the latest software, identify your unit’s battery type by following these instructions:

•From the Home screen in Android, select the Apps icon
•Select the Settings icon
•Scroll down, select About tablet
•Select Status
•Under the “Battery” category, you’ll see Y01 or B01
•If B01, your unit is NOT affected by this recall
•If Y01, your unit needs to be replaced. Please select Y01 to launch the recall application on the device

I've been out of the Android scene for a long time and it seemed good for the price.

I just checked, my unit isn't affected.

Can you please post the model number of your tablet?

Shield Tablet K1

and what version of android does it run?

You may want to have a look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet section over at XDA - I'm pretty sure you'll find all the info, and more, there.

here you go this found a guide to root your tablet. let me know if you need help with anything

http://nvidiashieldzone.com/shield-tablet/shield-tablet-root/root-shield-tablet-v1-marshmallow/

Thank you! I Finally managed to root it with this guide, apparently I was skipping some steps.

nice to know you got it. recommend the password method for protecting root access