Need help picking a Motherboard for Server build

That config looks ok.

Fotron has a Titanium 400W PSU in their industrial line, the FSP400-60AGTAA. I now use a 350W Seasonic industrial PSU in my home server.

I would use an Intel SSD and WD Red drives (since you seem to value silence over anything else). If you value reliability, I'd use HGST drives.

I suggest you read a bit on the new Xeon D ... it will be a mini-revolution in low power home servers and supports over 32GB. They launched it because AMD is nearly finished with their low power ARM server chip. :)

From TomsHardware Forums posted by:

choucove

This really depends heavily on the type of workload that you are dealing with. The big thing with these servers when comparing an AMD option to an Intel option is going to be the initial VALUE compared at the same price point.

Take for instance the HP DL380p G8 servers with a single Intel Xeon six-core 2.3 Ghz processor and 16 GB of RAM. It is about the same cost (slightly more expensive) than the HP DL385p G8 server which comes with two twelve-core 2.6 Ghz processors and 32 GB of RAM. With the AMD option you're even getting both redundant power supplies instead of just a single PSU. That means you are getting a whole lot more processor cores and twice the RAM for about the same cost or even less.

Clock for clock the Intel solution will beat the AMD platform. However, you are looking at the greatest value at a set price point, it's hard to really knock the AMD platform because of the power you can get at that same price. Not too long ago we set up an HP DL385 G7 as well with dual Opterons and it has more than enough performance and flexibility to meet our needs as we are only needing to run three VMs off of it. But when we bought it it was by far the best option as it gave us far more performance headroom and came initially with more included than going with a server at the same price point with Intel.

@eugenius I am not finding that exact power supply you are talking about. Can I get a link?

I suspect Xeon D will be out of my price range. Seems to good to be true.

Yes WD Red NAS or HGST Deskstar NAS drives. Have not decided which I am going with but that is a simple matter for later. Can't really go wrong with either in my experience. Remember I deal with EOP servers 5 days a week WD and HGST hardly ever fail. Like you said quiet vs a little more reliability / higher price. Seagate on the other hand... >_>

Intel vs Opteron power usage is only like $30 a year more so screw it and now I will have MUCH more options to upgrade without changing motherboard.

SuperMicro H8SGL-F
LSI 9211-8i
Fractal Design Define R5
SeasSonic SS-400FL2
AMD Opteron 6220 (Used from eBay)
Kingston 32GB (4x8GB) 1333 ECC Server Memory (or whatever is the same specs at the lowest price)
Intel Pro 2500 SSDSC2BF120H501 2.5" 120GB SSD (not as much wiggle room but I think this will be enough)
Noctua NH-U12DO A3

This is a bit over the $1,200 mark. LSI 9211-8i used from eBay would bring me back into the $1,100 - $1,200 range

Only thing that is not server grade is that PSU. Send some links, 80+ Platinum or higher please, and budget is $115 (or less).

Here's the 80 plus test eport on the FSP:
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/FSP%20TECHNOLOGY%20INC_FSP400-60AGTAA_400W_ECOS%204091_Report.pdf

And here's the test report for the Seasonic Platinum 400W:
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SEA%20SONIC%20ELECTRONICS%20CO.,%20LTD._SS-400FL%5E2_400W_ECOS%203319_Report.pdf

Over 90% efficiency at just 40W! This Fortron PSU saves you 4-5W at IDLE compared to a Seasonic Platinum PSU - depending on how many drives you have and your idle load. Compared to standard Bronze it's probably double that.

On the other hand, Seasonic Platinum means some peace of mind and longer warranty, even if I've seen a lot of Fortron PSU's still kicking after 10 years.

I use a Seasonic 400W fanless in one of my fanless home PC's, it's quite good ..... but that system doesn't have any fans, and only one WD green HDD in a silent heatsink box.

Prices on the Xeon D CPU:
Intel Xeon Processor D-1520 (4-core) $199.00
Intel Xeon Processor D-1540 (8-core) $581.00

Still can't find a place to actually buy that FSP power supply. All I see are rave reviews.

http://www.fspgroupusa.com/contactus.html

By the way, you might want to replace the Fractal R5 with the Nanoxia Deep Silence 5. It's a better deal than the Fractal and it allows more drives and future expandability and it's better built too. The DS5 IMO is the ideal consumer case for a quiet server.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434284/DeepSilence_5_ATX_Case_-_Black

I'd also get the 1231V3 or better yet the 1241V3 instead of the 1230V3. 1230V3 - only used,

In fact the only components worth buying new are the PSU, the motherboard and the HDD's.