Need Help on Setting Up Hardware Passthrough on Ubuntu 3930K

On the menu that looks a bit like this(the one after you click finish:

You should have one virtual hard drive and one virtual cd drive.

If you click on the disk entry, you can change the bus type by expanding the “advanced options” section. You want your hard drive to be VIRTIO and your CD drive to be SATA.

can you give me the output of sudo zfs list -t all and df -h so I can have a better understanding of the current state of your filesystems.

Sort of. we created the zvol earlier and we want to mount that instead of the qcow. The zvol isn’t a directory, but a virtual block device.

1 Like
NAME       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
pool      2,62T  15,1G  57,5K  /pool
pool/vol  2,62T  2,63T    36K  -
t@tsu:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1,6G   11M  1,6G   1% /run
/dev/sda2       219G   43G  166G  21% /
tmpfs           7,9G  186M  7,7G   3% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5,0M  4,0K  5,0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7,9G     0  7,9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1       478M  3,4M  474M   1% /boot/efi
/dev/sdc1       3,4T  2,8T  429G  87% /mnt/4TBVolume
pool             16G  128K   16G   1% /pool
tmpfs           1,6G  144K  1,6G   1% /run/user/1000

so your zvol will be /dev/zvol/pool/vol and it will act the same way as /dev/sdb or any other block device.

I’m not a friend of virt-manager - it just makes things more complicated. If you are willing to do without virt-manager, you know where to find the how-to.

The pc-i440fx-zesty option will deliver sub-optimal performance when combined with your 3930K CPU. But that should not create the error. Use q35 instead, as described by sgtawesomesauce.

Under the CPU option, select “Copy host CPU configuration”. Adjust the “Current allocation” and if you want the topology (your motherboard has 1 socket, a CPU with 6 cores with each 2 threads). Run the VM to save the configuration, then recheck the xml file and see if the “Sandybridge” option is replaced by “host”.

The only thing that could be a little challenge in your hardware configuration is the GTX 760 graphics card where I’m not sure it has a UEFI BIOS. If yes, this should be a piece of cake. If not, also no problem with your board/CPU - you just can’t use UEFI boot and need to use Seabios. Really no big deal as your hardware is just about the best you could get.

One last and critical thing: Have you enabled VT-d in your motherboard BIOS? Run the following command in a terminal:
for a in /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/*; do find $a -type l; done | sort --version-sort
You’ll get a sorted list of all your IOMMU groups. If not, you haven’t turned on IOMMU or VT-d as Intel calls it. Look for VT-d in the BIOS menus and enable it, together with VT-x.

1 Like

i440fx is suboptimal because it doesn’t support PCI-express, along with it being older.

I was passing through a 660ti with no problem, so the 7 series should be fine.