Need help on overclocking FX6300 on ASRock 970 Extreme 4

As the name states. I can't seem to get a stable overclock above 4,1GHz and it's really bugging me out that I can't get the performance boost.

These are my system specs:

CPU: AMD FX6300

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB 1866MHz 

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 

Video Card: XFX 7870 2GB GDDR5 1GHz 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 

PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight II 

I tried following some guides on YouTube and tomshardware forums, but I still don't understand the nuances of the NB frequencies and how it relates to the CPU through the HT. And all the good stuff. Oh yeah, I bumped up the voltage and all, and I still crashed horribly when I ran Prime95.

So I'm trying to get to 4.5GHz without crashing ever. Help me out guys!

you want to keep the vcore as low as possible & maintain a high multiplier

you don't want to go too high with the NB just keep stable

Your not going to get 4.5ghz out of that chip without a 990FX mobo 

Is vcore the voltage for the CPU? I can't just increase the multiplier cause anything above 4.1GHz will crash for me and 4.1GHz is the standard turbo boost thingie.

So how much can I go? 4.2GHz maybe 4.3GHz? But the thing is even 4.2GHz is crashing.

i don't see why you cant reach 4.5

i got my Fx-4100 to almost 5 GHZ stable on the stock cooler 

it gets to about 4.7 before it shows signs of instability

i probably wouldn't go over 4.5 tho because it gets too hot for my liking when oc'ing on the stock fan

The thing is I'm very new to overclocking, I actually have zero clue on how to do this.

download amd overdrive and i believe there is a test option which will stress test your cpu frequencies for you untill you basically BSOD

Yeah I have it, but the overclocked settings won't stay once I shut down and switch on the computer again.

whats it getting to?

you can set it to not go past a certain point. e.g 4.4

so you could stop it before it crashes?

ohhh so it finishes running but when you turn your computer off it resets?

im sure you can save it somehow with the application profiles?

anyway bed time for me, GL

Okay, for example I set the multiplier until it reaches 4.2GHz, I run Prime95 full load test and it crashes. If I set   it to reach 4.1GHz, it won't crash but when I restart the computer it doesn't run at 4.1GHz anymore. Unless if I use the bios to overclock. It can save profiles, but I have to run it again each time I switch on the computer. But on bios there's so many variables that I am confused on which I am supposed to tweak. And the online guides aren't really helping. Perhaps you could link me a good guide?

Alright, thanks anyway. Good night man

Just like cooperman said it, grab an 990fx motherboard for OC. I heard alot of people have problems OC with the ASRock 970 extreme 4. It does have alot of features for the price, but it has V4 + 1 Power Phase Design.

You could take an Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, it has 8+2 phase CPU VRM power design, but otherwise the 990fx chipsets are the way to go for OC.

Just not the ASRock 990fx extreme 3, it has the same problems.

Damn, I just got this motherboard.. So I can't do any overclocking on this one at all?

Go in to the bios and set the chip in turbo mode will be a better way to go 

Yeah that's the default actually.