Need help fixing defective monitor

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my monitor and am unsure as how to fix it.

What I am experiencing is that when my computer is turned on my monitor will flash on for about a tenth of a second and then shut off. After that it automatically restarts and the process repeats. The first few days it could manage to stay on and work normally, but I then couldn't turn off my PC afterwards or I would have the same problem.
I have tried the HDMI and VGA connections and hooked it up to my PC and my laptop, but the problems always stayed.
I have an LG 27EA63 IPS display.

Windows still recognizes it as being connected. I am 99% it is the monitor at fault (I say 99% but think its 100%.) When the monitor is not connected it doesn't go through this problem and just shows a display saying it isn't connected and stays on until it automatically powers off (which it is supposed to do.)

Does anybody know a way to fix it?

Try replacing the external power supply first, PSU failure is a very common fault with cheap monitors.

PSU's can fail in many different ways: the brick may still be providing 19v with little load on it, and then fail as soon as the input logic kicks in.

If that didn't work: follow the troubleshooting guide in the service manual, this requires some knowledge about electrical circuits, and a multi meter. Since this is a single-board-single-chip solution: good luck diagnosing or repairing anything, it's probably beyond economical repair at this point.

2 Likes

thanks, I will scavenge around for another psu as I currently don't have one just lying around. Never came up to think it could be the psu, so thanks.

I will probably be buying a new monitor as this one is nearly four years old, but I don't like to just toss stuff out the first time it faults.

Will update once I can!

Sounds like a blown cap or fuse on the main power rail.

Check psu, If it is no longer under warranty then take it apart and look for a blown cap or brown, black, green spots on the pcb.

1 Like

was thinking the same, but have no idea on how to open my screen easily xD Once I have a PSU to try might as well go balls deep and give it a try.

1 Like

There are no serviceable components inside the monitor itself (unless you want to go board level). The external power brick is ultrasonically welded shut, even if you manage to break it open it's pretty much non-serviceable inside.

Tip: Any spare 19v laptop brick (that can supply enough current) will probably do the job. You don't specifically need an OEM LG adapter.

Yea if you are able to find some external psu's with the same voltage and equal or greater amperage you should be set (also check polarity).

there should be some screws on the back to open it up

As the others have suggested, it definitely does sound like a problem with the external power supply, most likely a defective capacitor. It's doubtful that you'd be able to take apart the defective power supply, and put it back together (usually, the thing is held together with strong glue, or clips. It'll most likely need to be broken into).

If you don't care much, and want it to easily work, buy some power supply online for like $40 (don't buy non-oem, those tend to be.... um... dangerous, and kill devices). If you're more of a DIY'er, and want to save money, make your own power supply, follow a schematic on the internet, or use a buck/boost converter, and set it to the correct voltage (some buck/boost converters will also kill!).

Don't bother opening up the monitor until you KNOW FOR A FACT that the PSU is fine. As tempting as it is, there is no reason to do it, and can cause more harm than good.

2 Likes

Its caps dude! Open up that monitor, locate them electrolytic caps and get some replacements and replace them! easy kapeezy!

PS - first follow TheAlmightyBaconLord advice!

While this is an old thread others (like myself) might find it. This monitor displayed the same symptoms for me. I replaced the external power adapter and it worked OK for a while but I suspect the Capacitors need to be replaced. There is only a single screw on the back which is not securing the back panel. I’ve been able to find a 1/2 inch slot along a seam but so far haven’t figured out how to open this unit. If anyone has, please chime in here and let me (us) know how to open this to repair it.
=====UPDATE====
pried the back off by working a small screwdriver along the edge of the back (monitor lying face down) and prying it up. Ironically, don’t start at the bottom where there appears to be a pry slot. The bottom should come off last as it is hooked on a metal plate within and will have to be pulled downward (toward the bottom) to release once the other three sides have been pried up.
Sadly no simple to find swollencapacitors.

1 Like

wow, that has been a while back xD I thought I left a comment explaining my fix, but appearntly not, my bad :frowning:

I fixed my monitor by replacing my adapter. I think the issue is that while on standby, the monitor required such little power that my faulty adapter could just supply it. But when data is being sent to it requiring more power, that is when it failed causing the screen to shut off. I did not have to open the monitor, but thanks for taking a look at the insides. Good to know how to open it as I would not have been able to figure that out by myself without the use of trial and error.

1 Like