Need Help Finding Linux Drivers for Lenovo Laptop!

I recently purchased a Lenovo T510 that I may use for school and I thought this would be an excellent opportunity to try out my first Linux distro. The only problem is I don't know where to start.

The biggest concern that I have would be the drivers that go along with Lenovo's hardware; I haven't heard much about Linux but one of the bigger things that I know is that drivers are difficult to handle (I think).

I can be persuaded as to what distribution I should use but so far I am in the way of planning to use GNOME or maybe XFCE because I kind of like the way that GNOME looks and I like that XFCE is lighter which means it will supposedly run faster. I looked on Lenovo's website however I only found drivers that are confirmed with Red Hat and SUSE; but I don't know anything about these.

Hopefully one of you out there are smarter than I am and are more understanding of how Linux works. I want to find out if drivers for one version of Linux may be compatible with the next depending on what engine they use.

TL;DR I want to put a version of Linux, GNOME or XFCE, on my Lenovo T510 but need help finding drivers that are compatible with the hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated and hopefully one of you can come up with a solution.

Most drivers are already integrated into Linux so, unless you have some specific hardware, it should work out of the box. As for distro's a good choice for beginners is an Ubuntu derivative such as Xubuntu for an XFCE desktop and Ubuntu Gnome for, obviously, a Gnome desktop. If something doesn't work right away, it should be able to be installed with the "Additional drivers" program in the settings menu.

1 Like

As the rest said...The hardware drivers are included on the Linux Kernel. The kernel is the practically same on any distro. Just the version changes. The newer the kernel on your distro the better chance you have that everything should work out-of-the-box. Lenovo usually has good support on that respect.

BTW XFCE and Gnome are not Linux versions. They are desktop environments. Distros are the different flavors of the OS. The same distro can have the different environments simultaneously.

I would say to try either ubuntu gnome or Xubuntu (ubuntu with XFCE). Mint is also a great start but the current version comes with a slightly older version of the Kernel. If you go Mint and have any drivers issues just update the Kernel from the update manager (its a one click thing) or wait for the New Linux Mint that should come around July. That will have a newer kernel by default. Mint also comes in a version that XFCE is pre installed.

1 Like

what does

sudo lspci -a

give you?

broadcom can be a pain though

I imagine what you are referring to is a command in the command line but since I haven't installed anything yet I don't know what it would do.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y580 that is running a basic Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install since November 2015. I use the proprietary tested Nvidia Binary driver for the Nvidia 660M and I have had no issues, even with multi-monitor configurations and light steam gaming. Very easy install - start with a stock Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install and you should be fine.

1 Like

I have a Z710. I quite like Linux Mint. :) It is rather good about the Nvidia drivers.

it would tell us what devices are installed.

we cant give you much without it.