Need help deciding what SSD to buy for Gaming, Workstation, and Server Ryzen 7 1700

I’d say get some 128gb m.2’s and whatever other space you need get some 1TB WD Velociraptor / some sort of SAS drive.

Get the one @psycho_666 recommended OP.

According to Userbenchmark the adata drive is one of the fastest drives out there. All tho they had the sx8000 and not the one recommended by psy, I don’t know what the difference is tho between the sx6000 and the sx8000. The 8000 is still fast and cheap.

Well, the difference is, that SX6000 is very cheap, basically the cheapest PCIe M.2 drive. It slightly outperforms the SATA drives. The larger capacities are a bit faster.
SX8000 is fully fledged NVMe drive. It’s crazy fast, but here’s the twist:
256GB SX6000 is cheaper than 128GB SX8000. Yes, the 8000 is faster, MUCH faster, but we are trying to save money here. SX 6000 is priced similarly to most SATA drives and it’s faster than all SATA drives. Not by much, but still faster. Yet similarly priced. SX 8000 is much faster and much more expensive.

1 Like

Ok, @psycho_666 @Goalkeeper and @FaunCB I made some adjustments to my future build. Ok, @psycho_666 you were right I could upgrade to an M.2 SSD in the size I need without increasing my budget all that much more. But while I can see an advantage to going with M.2 with the Theadripper build I can’t see an advantage for the Ryzen 7 1700 build. I assume the reason I can’t is because the Theadripper has way more PCIe lanes than the Ryzen 7, or I just don’t understand how M.2 drives work.

@FaunCB while I have heard of SAS drives I don’t quite understand what advantages they have over just plain old consumer or enterprise drives.

All right guys if you would please look at the links I have posted above and let me know what you think. I really appreciate the advice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B2yxFT/intel-pro-6000p-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkf010t7x1

That is not important. Not in this case.
X370 and B350 have usually 2 m.2 slots. One of them is directly wired to the CPU, it’s NVMe…
You have X370 chipset, so your second m.2 slot is also PCIe and I believe also supports NVMe, but it goes through the chipset and isn’t directly wired to the CPU. B350 have only SATA support for it’s second m.2 slot.
My point is, you can easily have 2 x M.2 PCIe SSDs on the build without much of a problem.
I’m not 100% sure, but it may (or may not) use some bandwidth from the SATA ports, so it may (or may not) disable one or two…

No, it just disables one of the PCIe slots…
You can easily get dual m.2 drives in there.

1 Like

10/15K RPM mostly. Reliability.

1 Like