Need Help Deciding Between These Two ~$1700 Builds

It's never a good idea to generalize in this manner. Best practice is to consider each product by itself and not let yourself influenced by past experiences. EVGA has plenty of duds.

That's like telling a football fan not to root for a side over the other. It's impossible not to. I understand the point you're trying to make though.

Take AMD for instance. Intel has equivalent products for the most part that offer a better upgrade path and better performance, yet due to loyalties people will still buy an AMD CPU.

I put a ssd in every build, even $500 ones. In your new build i would go with a less expensive psu, a 550 or 600w for $50 is more appropriate, and use the money saved to get a ssd. Heck, I would even consider a not freesync monitor to get a ssd. They are that good. Not having a ssd is like using a ball mouse in today's world imo

I would say get a fury and a freesync monitor unless you really need the 6gb and the slight extra power of the 980ti.

I would go for build A, But then change the motherboard to a decent Z97 board.
Like the Asus maximus VII Gene.

Or just go with a Skylake i5-6600K + decent Z170 board and DDR4.
I would personaly recommend the Skylake route, since it will cost arround the same.
And you will have the latest platform.
For the rest the build looks good to me, the EVGA Supernova 650W G2 is a decent unit.