Need help asap i think i f**ked up

Basically I was trying to create a partition on my c drive but couldn't do it and then on the c drive I think I clicked make partition active or something like that and then I needed to restart my PC and now I'm getting this

Windows failed to start
File:Boot\BCD
Info: the boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors,
Please can some one help and also this isn't the proper version of windows 10 it use to be win7 then I upgraded so please can someone help and thank you in advance

Are you backed up?
Hopefully you have a Windows system image on another disk and have made a Windows Rescue disk.

• First try booting from the rescue disk. There is an option to repair Windows (that usually never works).

• Failing that there is an option (either on the rescue disk or Windows install disk, I don't remember) to restore from a System Image. That is the only method that I have been successful with consistently.

• A third option (that I had to use earlier today) is a System Restore using the rescue disk. System Restore rolls Windows back to a previously saved state. Even if you don't make a System Restore point, you usually will find that Windows has made a few that you can choose from. If the latest save doesn't work, try an earlier one. I don't think this is going to work in your situation.

Frankly, I think it's time to bite the bullet and just do a fresh reinstall of Windows. I hope you don't have any critical data on C:. Make sure you unplug all of your other drives when installing Windows. Sometimes Windows will put system files on the other drives so if Windows can't find them, Windows wont work.

I have learned to never mess with an existing partition until I'm sure everything is backed up. In my experience having a recent Windows System Image is a good way to ensure that Windows can restore the boot partition.

Good Luck.

1 Like

Hey man thanks a lot for the quick reply but I think you're right, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet because it's an os of proxybay man and I have my college assignment work on there aswell and other important things but nothing too drastic hopefully but I think it's game over for me but I did mange to get into the bios though but I tried to boot off my hdd but it didn't work, could I be onto something from there or is it the end of the road ???

You can get to a command prompt from the Windows installation disk. From there, you can use diskpart to undo the changes to partition you made before (just make sure you know what you did, so you know what to do now to bring it back to what it was).

2 Likes

Regardless of what you decide for OS recovery you can get your data files

1 Like

You may need to borrow a REALLY good (and trusting( friends computer. Make a live Linux USB (with persistence) of your prefered flavor with enough space to copy the files you need. I have rescued many a Windows machine this way.

3 Likes

I took a guess because I saw you were getting no help.
I knew as soon as one idiot (me) tried to help, others that actually know what they are doing would correct me and help you. :wink:

2 Likes

A answer is better than no answer my friend ! Thank you

1 Like

How would I do this? Any guides or is it pretty straight forward ?

Linux live usb-stick:
1. Get access to another computer
2. If the OS there is Windows, look for "Rufus", download and install. (For MacOS/Linux/BSD there are alternatives to make things happen)
3. Get your flash drive ready, there should be no data on it, otherwise that would be destroyed.
4. Download iso of a linux distro, Xubuntu-isos for example are rather small an you will have no real problems navigating through the GUI as a windows user:
https://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/#lts
5. Use rufus to create a live usb stick, there are guides how to do this (just make sure that you choose your flash drive and not some other partition)
6. Take your flash drive, plug it into your broken windows machine, and choose it as the boot option from the uefi/bios.
7. Choose "Try whateverlinuxdistroyouwentfor"
8. Navigate to your files and copy them somewhere safe (another usb stick/ external drive/ cloud storage service ...)

EDIT: formatting. Also: good luck recovering you files.

3 Likes

You should be able to undo what you did with Gparted Live CD

Or take this opportunity to try out Linux :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like just the active partion was changed and BCD can't find stuff.
Should be fixable with any partition editor, or by following one of the many BCD repair guides on the webs ("bootrec /rebuildbcd" from memory, but it's been almost 12 months since I have done any consumer IT work).

Edit: You mentioned it's pirated.... Don't expect too much help. Now might be the best time to copy off what you need using a Linux live CD, then install Linux.

2 Likes

He didn't say it was pirated, he just said he did the Win7->10 Upgrade :wink: I guess he's fearing he couldn't activate a reinstall of Win10. Which there is no reason to fear, a reinstall would work just fine.

Thanks for pickin' up the ball

1 Like

Good plan. @shazonline You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft and then see if they will validate your system. It has not been promising from what some have said in the past but, maybe. You could get a key at some point. Say no more.

I know dual booting is handy for some people, I did it for a short time with independent drives, but I just cant recommend it even with multiple drives. Linux does not care but MS likes to put their fingers (and bootloaders) in places they shouldn't.

Thanks again to @Pala for passing along the 'five-O" on LiveUSB for me. My head was not on straight.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and today I went out and brought a new HDD and a USB for my PC, you said something about MS and bootloaders which I'm not familiar with, if you could expand on that if you don't mind, I thought I could use the drive which is not loading MY os and format it and install Linux on it and put windows on the new drive, you said you wouldn't recommend duel boot but I was thinking every time I want to switch I can just simply restart and enter bios and then just load off Linux and make win10 my primary ? Would that be any better and I'm not worried about the hassle

1 Like

That is an excellent question. I can tell you my past experience and then some heresay. About four years ago I had a Windows 7 pro system on one physical drive and then Arch Linux and Debian both together on another physical drive.

That worked fine back then with my system. Now, the reason I am reluctant to advise this today is because my system does not have UEFI enabled. My system still uses BIOS. This particular motherboard is an older board. Almost every (maybe every) new and even new-ish consumer board today has UEFI. Many can disable this "feature" but that is another class.

OK. As far as Windows bootloader. Every operating system has a bootloader. It is a (usually) small piece of code stored on a usually tightly controlled area of your storage device. UEFI, your hardware, and the OS have to walz together in tandum at boot time. In a perfect world this would be fine to setup and forget it. The heresay is that Windows likes to manipulate the music (see what I did there) which has caused some people to have systems that do not boot.

So since years have passed and things have changed, I don't recommend dual booting. I hear that lots of people still do dual boot. It may be fine still today with two physical drive such as you now have. Someone can chime in on the hows & wherefores on that.

I am quite sure that having Linux and Windows on independent physical drives will be helpful.

thanks for the advice man, i think im gonna go with two systems on separate drives and just boot into which one i need at the time, at this moment in time im trying to make the move to linux and this gives me that chance to experiment with it. thank you for the advice

1 Like

Not in those words, but in the 3rd post, he has written "it's an os of [sic] proxybay"... Combined with the seeming concern it will not reinstall correctly, that suggests it's not legit.

1 Like

It might be worth trying to repair the MBR.

Pop in a recovery disk, open the command prompt and run

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr