Need an air cooler to replace my aging H80

Exactly like that. I wasn’t sure wether it’s better to intake cold on the side onto the GPU and “passively” exhaust at the top, or pull warm air out on the side. I’ll try both configurations.

Actually not the plan. My Define mini is only half a year old and i definitly plan on keeping it. The Upgrade will basically be CPU and Mainboard. Maybe new RAM if my current DDR4 isn’t fast enough. The Rest of the System will be rolled over.

Fractal Design Define Mini https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-mini

I guess this depends on whatever case it will go into then. But yeah, the 212 is on my shoppinglist for a budget sideproject.

1 Like

Looking at that case, it appears to have a bottom fan slot, that might work better as an intake over the side.

Where is the radiator mounted? I would put it on the top as an intake. I have all my machines set up like this.

Just a thought.

I think that you’ll be good with a U12S even if you wanted to upgrade in the future. Has basically the same performance as the NH-D15 but it’s noisier. My NH-D15 at full speed in an Enthoo Pro with acrilic side panel barely hums so I consider it basically silent. You could run it with one fan too if you wanted. But it’s massive and can conflict with the first PCI slot and the RAM modules if they’re tall.
Since you’re cooling an i5-6500 I’d go with the U12S to save yourself the possible headache of a giant air cooler.

1 Like

There is one answer to this question. Phononic hex 2.0. I used to have an NH-D15 and this little cooler out performs it. It’s a thermal electric cooler that uses a peltier plate. You wont be disappointed.

Cinebench doesn’t even make my 5820K sweat.

Assuming price is no concern of course. Still $120 isn’t terrible. On their web page they are currently offering free AM4 kits as well. Not included by default.

3 Likes

Dark Rock 4. /thread