Need advise with this build

This is the first thing that I came up with. I would like the end price of this gaming pc to be around $800.

CPU- Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler- Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard- Asus Maximus VI Gene Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory- Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage- Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, and Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card- EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card

Case- Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply- Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive- Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Total: Ends up being around $820, if you have any suggestions please leave a comment!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

woops forgot air cooler
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P2TfjX

The SSD is still better than no SSD.
I would go to a cheaper mobo and cpu as kewldude said.

If it were me I would probably drop the Optical drive and SSD and get a bit beefier GPU. then add an SSD when you have some more funds.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/deejeta/saved/#view=NLdzK8
i5, decent mb, r9 290, 8gb ram, samsung 850 ssd, 1tb wd blue, good psu, alright case. Under budget and even further with rebates.

• 750ti is a very low end gaming gpu
  • h55 wouldnt handle past a slight overclock on a 4690k unless the chip was golden with uber low vcore needs.
  • an overclocked CPU wont make up for a weak GPU in gaming
  • kingston ssdnow drives are on par with old OCZ drives - RMA bin fillers.

Thank you for your input. I was thinking like SubTract said, though if it is really that bad then okay. Also I consider an optical drive an essential for installing an os, but I assume I could just get the optical drive from my old pc.

I was wanting to put windows on my ssd from the start. Do you think I should go with that one so I can get windows on it from the start or just stick with a mechanical drive? By the way I definitely do not want to buy two copies of windows and I heard that you can transfer windows from a mechanical drive to a ssd but it would harm the ssd's speed or something. (I don't know if this is fact)

Thank you for your input! I actually meant to put down the H80 for cooling not H55, or do you just think a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM fan would be better like kewldude007 suggested?

You can install windows fresh on a ssd after it has already been installed on a HDD with the same key as long as the rest of your build is the same. (Presuming its a retail key not OEM)
I'm all for ssd's but if its that or a gpu the GPU is better spent money. If you can stretch your budget a little more, get both.

As for the optical drive being essential for installing windows, install windows from a USB then you don't need to spend money on an optical drive and it doesn't have to be an eye sore in your case.

(Microsoft has a tool for putting the windows installer on a thumb drive. All you need is the product key.

Honestly that ssd is in a bit of an interesting basket. I suggest you go watch pcper's review on it. It has weird hiccups with its write speed about 3 times a minute. Given that you're probably just going to use it as an is drive you probably won't have any problems with it. Especially since it will mostly only be reading but go watch the review and see if you're happy with it.

I was considering putting one in my laptop given how cheap they are then I realized I haven't turned my laptop on in over a year xD.

(Sorry for this response being all over the place It's to hard to rearrange on my phone)

Thank you very much! I took everyone's comments into consideration and came up with this. And yes I did stretch the budget just a slight bit. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/HoboJack/saved/MPQxFT

Looks great, you may want to stretch that PSU just a bit more thats cutting it awfully fine and PSU's do degrade slightly over time.

What would you recommend?

"op´s" original build is totaly fine, the only thing i would change is the SSD, for a Samsung evo 850 or what not, and the cooler, the corsair H55 isnt that much better then a moderate 120 aircooler. Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO will do just as fine

i would personaly keep the 4690k, the Maximus VII gene is offcourse a great mobo, but maybe there is cheaper alternative like the Asus Z97 Gryphon.

Next to that, i would look a better gpu. 290 (x).

Thank you, but did you look at the second build that I posted? I changed most of what you suggested.

the B85 mobo will probably need a bios update before the 4460 "which is an haswell refresh chip", will work.
But why did you decide to go with a locked i5 over the 4690k with Z series chipset board?
Unless you dont care about overclocking offcourse.

Because I am not the best at this :P I'll try to fix it accordingly.

well i asked that, because maybe you are pinned on a certain budget?

Well, I am trying to keep it around $800, but with what it is now its about $860

ah okay, yeah then a 4690k + R9-290 is going to be hard.

Maybe you should try something like this it's just a little over your $860 budget but it's worth it.

The Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h7XrXL