Need advice

Hi.

Thinking of building my first rig in many years last one was a pentium 4.

Specs:
ASROCK X399 TAICHI AMD TR4 Socket 8xDDR4 3600+(OC) 4 PCIe 3.0 x16 1 PCIe 2.0 x1
RYZEN THREADRIPPER 1950X 4.0GHZ 16C SKT TR4 40MB 180W WOF
RADEON RX VEGA 64 8G HBM2 PCI-E HDMI 3XDP
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600MHz CL18 1.2v
CORSAIR HX1000i 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully Modular PSU
Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 D-Type Premium Cooler
CORSAIR LE200 480GB SATA III TLC 7mm 560/530 MB/s
CORSAIR Carbide Quiet 400C Inverse ATX Tower Case
ViewSonic XG2700 | 27" | Ultra HD (4K) | 5 ms | IPS | FreeSync | Black/Red

Any suggestions if any? Better Cooling solution, memory or HD or anything else or something that I forgot?
RADEON RX VEGA will maybe wait for other manufacturers to out with there VEGA cards.
Haven’t decided yet on what OS. Fedora, openSUSE (tumbleweed),Arch (all of them GNOME) or Solus (Budgie)

What’s the purpose of the computer?
Budget (and country of course)?

And I’m failing to see a PSU on there.

Ohh i forgot to post the PSU. Will edit my post with the CPU.
Not really any purpose just want something like this… Budget is not a issue.

HX1000i is overkill and expensive. I’m running a dual 22 core xeon on a RM850. However if you want to add a second Radeon 64 at some point, I won’t talk you out of the 1000w power supply.

Why are you choosing a SATA based SSD? Get a Samsung 960 Pro m.2 NVMe SSD. You’re looking at almost 4x the speed.

And as for video… Team Red is cool and all… but nVidia seems to do a better job generation after generation. AMD is hit and miss in my opinion.

1 Like

Thx. for your opinion. I didn’t know what to get will get the samsung 960 Pro m.2 NVMe SSD as you suggest instead. Will also get another hd for games and stuff but don’t know what to get for that.
I will maybe add a second radeon 64 haven’t decided yet. The reason for AMD GPU is that I don’t want to hassle with nvidia proprietary drivers on linux. Also thinking of NZXT Kraken X62 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler.

nice config… might as well go 32GB or 64GB ram since you’re going pretty much all the way with the build. Post finished build pix later plz.

I agree with @NetBandit about the 960 Pro. With all those PCIe lanes and the insane speed of NVMe, that’s a no-brainer. As for the RAM, I wouldn’t bother with anything above 3200MHz. It’s unlikely you’ll be able to hit higher than that on TR4 right now, no matter what the vendor says the DIMMs will hit. I could be wrong on that point, but worth considering before you throw money away on performance you’ll never get. My other suggestion would be to buy 4 matching DIMMs of the highest capacity that you can at that speed to take advantage of the quad channel memory support. Other than those minor things, you have a killer build on your hands here.