Need Advice On Choosing Between boards for VFIO

Trying to decide between these two motherboards on just the basis of running a Windows gaming VM from a Linux host.

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ( £139)
Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE (£190)

From searching around so far it seems the Aorus will be perfect for what I need but can’t find much information about the MSI board in regards to iommu. If it also has the right iommus it would be nice to save the £50

Anyone have any advice on this?

The build will be-
Ryzen 5800x
Nvidia 1660

The gigabyte boards generally let you specify the boot GPU slot, which is pretty handy when doing VFIO unless you like digging in your PC case and swapping GPUS around. I’ve got an Aorus Master on the go and it’s been rock solid in Linux for as long as I’ve had it. Don’t know anything about the MSI board though.

2 Likes

Boot gpu slot choice sounds actually great.

The motherboard is now £140 for some reason. Thanks Jeff I guess

Agree with this, but make sure you get one with a Intel Gigabit and ALC1220 audio. The ALC4080 boards are god awful, and so are Realtek 2.5Gbe LAN, and they even had a bad batch of Intel 2.5Gbe LAN as well.

AKA Avoid the X570S boards.

If you want x8/x8 lane splitting, only the Aorus Ultra has that directly from the CPU. The Aorus Elite puts the 2nd mechanical x16 on the chipset as x4.