Need a guide - Installing Ubuntu 14.04 Server and Quassel IRC on an OVH VPS

Hi, guys and gals,

First of all - I am a total linux newb here. I have tried Ubuntu Desktop in a virtual machine a couple of times just to able to say to myself, that I have done that :) but never actually got anywhere and I never properly used it. So basically, no linux experience here at all.

What I would like to do is get a VPS server from OVH:

1 vCore
2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
10 GB SSD
Local RAID 10
$3.49 /month

And install Ubuntu Server and Quassel IRC core on it, so I can use Quassel client to connect to it and have privacy + bouncer this way. I want Ubuntu Server not some other distro, because my thinking is, I will need to learn and start using linux sooner rather than later, with windows going down the spying road... And I'm 100% sure my first real attempt at using/switching to linux will be Ubuntu Desktop, so it'll be ubuntu server and desktop, less confusion, at least in the beginning. And Quassel, because I tried it and I love it. And it's got a bouncer inbuilt, so no need for another software, like znc. I wanna keep everything as simple as possible in the beginning.

Question: is it feasible for me, again - no linux knowledge at all here. I do not like or use command line, but I know I'll have to and that's OK.

I am worried about security, especially, if I have no idea what I'm doing... There was a time I had many dedicated servers on many different hosts (ovh included), but I used windows server then. Now with this VPS my only choice is linux. The problem is, that back then, even though I used windows server and pretty much new what I was doing, I got hacked. I once found, what I could only assume was a scene dump site ftp running on my server for fuck knows how long. Because I only noticed it, when I found that there was a TB+ folder with scene releases hidden inside my Recycle Bin. Sneaky bastard :)
Anyway, so there it is. I'm worried I won't know my ass from my elbow, so I could be hacked and never ever actually know it. Maybe it sounds silly...

Please, advise: am I thinking crazy or what? Coz nobody was born knowing everything. There was a time when I looked at my friend sitting at the computer and all I could say: "Fuck, man, look at all those fucking buttons on that thing (keyboard)... Are you sure you're not gonna fucking break that thing?" 2 months later I bought my first PC and 6 months after that all my friends started asking me how do stuff and fix their computers and shit (aforementioned friend included). True story, even though probably most of you guys here had the exact same experience (considering the forum and what kind of ppl gather here) :)

And finally, could anyone point me to some kind of tutorial, or better still a step-by-step guide how to do this? I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help.
And sorry for a long post...

Have a look at this guide it uses digitalocean instead but the steps are essentially the same. It covers server setup and client setup on desktop and android.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/tek-syndicate-irc-how-to-join/75336/9?u=eden

I'm sorry @Eden, but:

1. Ubuntu Server. I think I was clear. Need a guide how to setup/configure Ubuntu Server for safety. What I'm gonna do with a guide for FreeBSD? It's not even fucking linux. I clearly said I am completely oblivious about linux and of course bsd. Quick google search told me that they maybe somewhat similar (linux and bsd), but are you seriously suggesting to me to learn BOTH so I could be able to actually understand and see the differences that I need to apply to that guide you provided?
  2. I said I'm already using Quassel, so I obviously know how to set it up. I don't need a core and desktop setup guide. I may need to know how to install it in an ubuntu server, but all the rest - nope.
  3. Android - why? Not an IRC junkie.

If I am making a mistake because of my ignorance about anything linux or bsd, I will apologize, sincerely.

But atm, from where I'm standing, this guide you gave me it's totally worthless.

It's either you just have nothing better to do, that to raise your post count.
Or, in the case it's my bad, you could've written another couple of sentences and at least told me why this guide applies to me at all. Although, even if it applies to me in some way, how in hell it is making my life any easier to jump into 2 different OSes at once, instead of 1?
It was a little embarrassing to admit it, by I clearly did - I know fucking nothing about linux or bsd. Sadly, only windows here, and that's what I'm trying to remedy.

PS. I fucking hate to ask questions on the forums in general, because of bullshit answers you get most of the time. That's why I take utmost care to be as precise with the question, as possible, so there would be no "please elaborate" spam posts. Maybe I was a little short this time, then sorry.

Quassle works the same on Linux as it does on BSD there is no need to the hostile attitude. Only part that is difference is the install process

apt-get inastall quassle

only real difference.

The vps is way overkill for quassle and ras pi 2 will work just fine and is what I use. The raspi uses debian which Ubuntu is based on so still the same for the most part.

Seriously calm down.

Sorry @cryodream I remembered the post from a while ago and forgot it was FreeBSD based and wasn't paying attention. Im not suggesting you learn FreeBSD.

Appropriate gif xD

So the inital steps are pretty much the same. I highly recommend digitalocean but OVH or any VPS works fine.

Im unfamiliar with OVH's layout so someone else may be able to chip in, but like digital ocean they offer bare OS' and specifically:

Ubuntu 14.04 Server
Ubuntu 15.04 Server

14.04 is their long term support release, 15.04 is there shorter support release of a year. http://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

I would recommend going for the 14.04 release though it will have slightly older packages, theres less fussing around with it.

Follow their setup, it will include setting up a user and password getting the IP, etc. You'll likely need to use SSH to login of which you can use putty on windows.

putty is fairly straight forward, ip, port, connect. enter your username press enter, enter your password. your in the Linux terminal.

From here my first suggestion would be to get familiar with the command line, look up some guides, videos, get the basics.

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php

--

To get right to what you need, you can run this.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install quassel-core

update will download the latest software repository info
upgrade will upgrade all packages where updates are available

install quassel-core does what you think, it will install the core quassell component.

On Ubuntu when running commands that require elevated privilages like isntalling packages, editing system files you need to use sudo then the command.

Hope thats a jump start, its pretty late so this isnt an exhaustive howto.

As promissed, sincere appologies for my ignorance.

And thank You for the detailed explanations, that's all that I needed...

@Eden

1. I would very much appreciate some details, why DigitalOcean? Granted it has 20GB vs 10GB of SSD space, but only 512MB vs 2GB of memory. And most importantly - DO has only 1TB bandwith cap, while OVH has none, iirc? After all that OVH is even cheaper...
    I mean I'm gonna use it only for Quassel. But also I would like to get mongodb on it also. I wanna try and use mongodb on my next project.

2. yep, 14.04. Thanks for detailed explanation why.

3. so in linux all you need to do is update repos info and update packages, and that's it? I mean security-wise... I know everyone says linux is way secure than windows, but is that it? Coz I know I offended you and now you gonna come and rape my poor server, you bastard... :D

4. sudo, as I understand elevates permissions to the root user, yes? And root user is like administrator on windows, yes?

@Quixotic_Autocrat

1. the problem is that I have no idea that there's only so much difference. Repeat: total linux newb. Like your grandma (no offence intended to your grandmother).

2. yep, my initial plan was to buy raspberry pi and put quassel core on it. The fucking rizon and their hate for VPNs killed that plan.

3. the attitude is explained below, if anyone cares...

My angry tone was not completely your fault, it needs to be said. I have been using IRC for maybe 20 years, but in the last 7-8 years very seldom. Now as it happens I need to get back on IRC and I decided I finally need to get a bouncer and to get some privacy on the irc (I didn't use those before). I left a licenced official mIRC behind long time ago. For the last couple of years or so I've been using HexChat. Now that I need to get back on IRC more, firstly I went looking for a bouncer. I knew about znc being pretty much the favorite, but then I accidentally found Quassel. And it just clicked, a bouncer and especially, I love the interface. IMHO, the best I've ever seen on windows. So now for the privacy - I just bought a year of PIA VPN on this last Black Friday deal. My first VPN also :) So I installed the VPN and Quassel core on one of my NUCs and it was awesome.

And then it started ... The problem was with a rizon server. Could not connect... Went on their help channel and was told, they don't like VPNs... So, what to do? I started thinking VPS, looked at the options, OVH was cheap and I new them, as I've had servers from them in the past. The problem, that VPS would need a linux server OS, which I'm like... ugh oogh... fuck... finally the time has come... fuck me... So I decided on Ubuntu Server as a the best starting point for the reason I stated in my 1st post and 14.04 version because of the reasons @Eden mentioned. You see, I'm a liar, I know at least something about linux :)

Anyway, in the meantime I registered my nick on rizon and got a vhost. I probably lost my old nick, if I had one on rizon before, don't even recall now. And fucking rizon - now I can't connect to the server with Quassel. HexChat - no prob. Quassel - fuck no. Back to their help channel - they say quassel connects in some weird way, sorry no can help. Fuck. Onto the quassels help channel to ask whats going on - still waiting for answer... Although I found some article on them internets that clearly shows using quassel on rizon servers. It was an older article, so who knows, maybe they messed something up lately... we'll see, if/when I get the answer.

So now I'm really mad, coz I spent a better half of 2 days setting all this up, and googling ubuntu server, and it seems that it may not even matter, coz the ri-fucking-zon are just hell bent on ruining all my plans :)

Then @Eden I saw your answer. Sorry, but it was just one of those times, when the straw broke the camel's back. I need to confess, the first draft of my reaction was a bit different :)

Also, imagine how must I feel going back to 0 knowledge after 20 years spent with computers. It is completely embarrassing and I feel like a stupid idiot. Sadly, I'm not a young guy already and real life has never given me enough free time to jump of a cliff from windows to linux. Coz that will take a considerate amount of time. And especially, when there's pretty much nothing I cannot do on windows. Well, there are cases, like this exact one with the VPS. So... I need to bite the bullet.

Anyway, thank You so much for detailed answers guys, especially @Eden. Sorry, dude.

The gif was edited in, sorry, it was the perfect timing... Just after I posted my answer, someone on irc shared that gif. I though - fuck, that's fate.

Now that I'm done explaining myself... off to read the guide and watch ze videos.

I'm on board for recommending DO as they are extremely reliable, relatively friendly in terms of customer support. I am with @Eden as well for knowing nothing about OVH and someone should pitch their information in.

Depending on what type of person you are, you might be better off using a Windows based server unless you are sticking to that VPS plan, Linux is like your only option.

Security wise, never run anything as root. If you are loading quassel core, you might be better off learning to assign that to a user with no system privileges and running it as that user.

Root is probably more powerful than Windows Administrator. As root, it takes 0 effort to break a Linux system.

For anything else you listed, I probably don't have an answer to, so I omitted them from my reply.