Need a bit of help with First Build ~$1000-$1200

Hello, over the past year and a half or so I've been looking for parts to build a solid gaming rig to replace this overpriced scam of a laptop I am currently using. (No dedicated GPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000 is driving me insane) I plan to get working on the build within the month or shortly afterwards. So here's the general info about my future build formatted from the Build a PC forum guidelines:
  • As the title suggests, I plan to have a budget of around $1000-$1200, $1250 is the absolute maximum.
  • I live in the United States, and use USD currency.
  • I currently have no real preference towards a retailer, I have used Newegg before and have had no issues.
  • I recently purchased a Razer DeathAdder 2013 gaming mouse and am more than happy using it, however, I am going to be needing a new keyboard (see below about peripherals.)
  • Primarily I will be gaming, heavily. I may do some light video editing with Sony Vegas in the future and rendering occasional Photoshop pictures, but gaming is the most important with regards to the build.
  • I would LIKE the ability to overclock probably just the CPU if, in the end, my budget allows. 
  • With regards to water-cooling, it is my first build, so, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so, I would like to have the capacity to be able to water-cool later down the line.
  • I already have a Windows 7 copy on here, so I'm probably just going to transfer everything on this laptop to my build and replace the laptop's OS with a Linux distro.

With regards to gaming:

• With my current setup, just being able to RUN games that were released after 2008 I would be pleased with, but, in all seriousness, I would like to be able to run current-gen games at High to Ultra settings and get a constant 60 fps or higher. The GPU I have currently chosen down below I'VE HEARD should be able to deliver that. (I would also like to avoid screen-tearing)
  • I would like to play at a 1920 x 1080 resolution.
  • I like to play shooters, platformers, puzzlers, RPG's, open-worlds, and strategy games (you can see my Steam library here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tunaftw/games?tab=all ) But first-person shooters are the big one for me.
  • Specific games I'll be playing: Far Cry 3 seems to be the most intensive game on my wishlist, if that helps.

With regards to rendering:

• Applications I will be using to render are mainly Sony Vegas Pro 12 and Photoshop CS6, I don't expect myself to be using these heavily, but I want to make sure they would have little issues with my rig.
  • I don't plan to render full-on movies, but possibly a YouTube video or Photoshop picture here and there.

With regards to peripherals:

• For my keyboard, I believe I think a Mechanical Cherry MX Brown switch gaming keyboard would work for me the best. I don't plan to use macros at the time of building and programmable keys aren't necessary, just as long as I can game and type with no issues and has a good pricetag and build quality.
  • I am more than satisfied with my DeathAdder 2013 mouse.
  • I play mainly FPS games, I don't expect to get into WoW anytime soon.
  • I'm looking for a 1920 x 1080 60hz monitor, good build quality, no fancy viewing angles (I would like to be able to change the vertical angle however), preferably 23'' wide, a fair pricetag, and I could care less about VESA. Though I think the monitor I have chosen already down below meets that description. 

Other Notes:

• At the time of posting, here is my current part list:
  • (6/5/14) http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WMHfhM
  • Like I have said this is my first build. A few of my colleagues are also PC enthusiasts, but they seem to have a lack of knowledge about building within my price range (when they build, they build at the $600 budget, or have no budget at all, no in-between.) 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I welcome all advice or criticism. If I was unclear about what I have posted so far, feel free to ask me to clarify.

Happy building!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mKWGnQ

Intel's new i5-4690k and i7-4790k are coming out very soon.  You might want to wait for those.

I added in a Hyper 212 air cooler.  These are great CPU coolers for the money, and can get you started pretty well with overclocking.

Change of motherboard to lower the price.  Still looks great and has support for SLI.

Faster RAM.  This will help with video rendering.

1TB WD Blue.  If you really need it, I suppose you could stick to 2TB.

R9 290.  No comparison to the GTX 760.  The GTX 760 usually comes with 2GB of VRAM.  Due to it's limited 256-bit memory interface width, the other 2GB that EVGA's put on the card can only really come and help when high resolution textures/monitors are used.  The R9 290 is a much, much stronger card, and has a very wide 512-bit interface.

Slightly cheaper case.  Should look better as well since the majority of the insides are black.

High quality power supply.  Not 80+ Gold, but will handle the build just fine.

IPS monitor.  The reviews on the Acer you picked were a bit spotty, so I went with a different one.

As for transferring the OS from your laptop, you will have to clean out the drivers that were installed with your old laptop.  Something to keep in mind.  It's also usually better to do a fresh install of windows when doing major system upgrades or a new build altogether.