Navi (5700XT) on Manjaro (and Arch Linux) 2019Q3/Q4 How-To

Navi (5700 and 5700 XT) Support on Kernel 5.3 and Your Distro

The short version is that Kernel 5.3 just dropped with good support for Navi GPUs now. The bad news is that even cutting edge distros like Arch/Manjaro need a tiny bit of love in the user-friendliness department.

Community member wronglebowski stepped up and put together this script:

which will help you setup kernel53 and the requisite accompanying mesa and other library packages so you can game on Linux.

Anyone want to take it for a spin and report back? I should do a video on it.

Thanks @Wronglebowski !

1 Like

My first Linux script I wrote with the intention for others to use it! A good learning experience for myself. I did want to attempt to boil it down to one script instead of two but I kept on running into issues with the amount of prompts and sudo/nonsudo issues. If anyone can improve it I’d love to see a better implementation.

3 Likes

Looks simple enough, but I would suggest you add the hashbang line to the scripts. Ie:

#!/bin/bash

2 Likes

I’ve seen this in other scripts. Can you elaborate or point to a resource on what this does? I thought # just meant that line was a comment.

The first line in any posix type script the shell looks for the “hashbang” line (also known as Shebang), if it exists it uses the specified program to execute the script with. For example:

#!/usr/bin/python

print "This is a python script"

Or:

#!/bin/bash

echo "This is a bash script"

The file can have any name or extension, if it is marked executable and has this line, the shell will use it to execute the script. Without this line the shell will assume its a shell script and try to execute it immediately. The issue with this is, not everyone uses bash, some use ash, or dash, etc… and they are not all feature compatible.

If you’re script is basic, like yours is, you should just specify /bin/sh as the interpreter.

2 Likes

I am running Manjaro myself, today I installed a 5700 XT (X570 and 3700X), it wouldn’t boot. The solution was simple (if you know it :stuck_out_tongue:), go into advanced boot options for Manjaro, hit the e on your keyboard, enter a 3 as boot-parameter and you get into the console. From there I updated the packages and I could boot into Manjaro again. With other words, the latest packages of Manjaro work for the 5700 XT. A little problem for new Manjaro-users, installing Manjaro is more difficult, the live-USB will not start.

Good news: I had a minimum FPS of 110 and an average of far above 200 for Tomb Raider with ultra-settings (including TressFX).
Bad news: the fan gets much too loud that way. Asus Strix 5700 XT. I am looking for an alternative to AMD-settings. Tuxclocker doesn’t have support for it yet. Is there a thread here on how to manually undervolt your GPU, change the fancurve and limit the FPS in games? I would like to game on Linux but then I need to be able to control these things. I don’t want to waste so much electricity for nothing (60 Hz monitor at the moment) and I don’t want all that noise.

A little late but there is a utility know as CoreCtrl by Juan Palacios that gives GPU control to the user with the settings you are looking for. I cannot assert that it works with the Navi cards it does do the biz on my humble RX590s