NASty - Ryzen based 10Gbe pure SSD NAS

@noenken Nice job, I’m jelly.

What SSDs did you use in this build? Do you have a magic source of cheap large reliable SSDs that no one else knows about?

Apologies if it’s already been stated, I couldn’t see it.

I wish, man … I wish I had that. :disappointed:

I have SSDs on the way, I am going with four 2TB Crucial MX500 for now because that is the rough amount of storage I really need for maybe a year. I hope something happens to the prices until I run out of space on these…

I’m gonna update this when the system is actually set up.

Got the drives today. Didn’t do anything, just checked SMART to see that everything looks ok,.
Definitely a bit underwhelming to get just four bog standard SATA SSDs for that amount of money.

3 Likes

Can’t get Micron 1100’s there? I know the warranty generally sucks but I’m pretty happy with a 2TB SSD for ~$300 USD.

No, you can’t get those prices here.

Well, that sucks.

holy shit. Why did I just buy 48TB of rust when I could have bought 16TB of SSD for the same price.

2 Likes

Ugly sticker?

Ehh, I shucked a bunch of WD easystores to get my rust. I’m not concerned with sticker beauty.

1 Like

Was being facetious :wink:

woosh

1 Like

It’s a shame that the Amazon questions states the drives have an endurance of 400TBW (total bytes written).

How do you fill the drive?

Probably 400tb tbw

1 Like

It’s a storage drive. I’m using it for games mainly so I don’t worry about redownloading them at some point. It’s actually the biggest drive in my system right now :joy:

Oh, yes 400 TB total written. It’s in their product paper on the Micron website.

1 Like

Yeah you are right. 400TB sounds better than 400 bytes. :wink:

My NAS is down, so I cant smartctl my current drives to check. Hell, they are rust buckets, so probably don’t even record TBW for a comparison. The drives look nice, reviewed well, I just wonder about their longevity.

But, it is not like I dump all the data off my NAS and rewrite it all over and over.