Nagging Thunderbolt questions

So with a Titan Ridge V1 controller in hand, I have been having MANY nagging questions about Thunderbolt 3:

One: There are now 2 revisions of the Gigabyte Titan Ridge controller, but modified firmwares are available for both. Can anyone clarify if Version 2 of the Gigabyte enables anything, or if going for the modified firmwares while owning the original V1 version is a better call?

Flashing procedures are about as ghetto as @Wendell’s early Thunderbolt on Threadripper attempts:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-gigabyte-designare-z390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2458#post-2161463

Two: Custom firmwares for revealing the Thunderbolt bus on Z390 systems… Is it absolutely necessary for 100% compatibility or will sticking to the original firmware be enough?

Three: What exactly is changed in the custom firmwares to make it work? I’m looking for @Wendell’s input on this.

Four: Are the defaults on ASUS Prime motherboards for Thunderbolt configuration not that far off from the settings required for making a X299 iMac Pro?: X570 Aorus Xtreme/Master... was it originally intended to have Thunderbolt support?

I still lack a ASUS Prime Z390-A and accompanying processor to finish my Thunderbolt testing and have yet to determine if there are any benefits to the modified firmware. Furthermore, I don’t know if the benefits of custom firmware affect AMD systems positively neither.

Then there’s the DSDT and SSDT issue getting it working on OpenCore or Clover. I have received zero help on this front and I’m unsure if that’s part of getting it working or that’s a requirement in general before anything works…

I need a working OpenCore/Clover, guys. I would hate to not be able to capture ProRes using my Decklink equipment or use ProRes RAW with a native framework as in it’s a direct Apple API to Premiere rather than a DLL in Windows.

BTW, if you were considering abandoning Mac for Windows for Premiere and ProRes RAW, don’t for now. You can’t capture ProRes at all in broadcast quality on Windows (Xaymar doesn’t count) and ProRes RAW is a really bad RAM hog on Windows, and isn’t decode accelerated like the Afterburner card on Macs. If you had an Atomos recorder and you were NOT going to use ProRes RAW, the transition is smoother than if you had a need to capture using Decklink cards in ProRes or using ProRes RAW with acceleration.

I also welcome anyone else with their own questions about it to ask here too.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.