My ZFS on linux adventure

So I have been playing with zfs on linux (centos 7.4) for a few days.

Wanted to post about it.

Recently put together a system with an i3-8350k with 64GB of ram and 12 2.5" WD red 1TB drives in raidz1.

Performance is great for 1Gb/s network transfers. I even turned on dedup and I still get around 110MB/s tranfers.

When i started playing with it zfs arc max was set to 0 but It seemed to limit itself to 32GB. So i manually set it to about 50GB and I noticed it use more. Pretty odd that it limited itself to 50% even though the parameter was 0 by default.

Yeah the default is 50% of system RAM, guess 0 just means default.

Have you ever tried setting up a qlogic fibre channel HBA in target mode ?

No I haven’t really played around with fibre channel much

Do you have the / partition on the pool?

If so, how did you do this? Every time I have attempted ZFS on Fedora or Debian I have failed, I cannot find resources to create a ZFS pool to include the operating system.

I have succeeded on FreeBSD, but that is because you do it at install. Same thing with Antergos, but sometimes on reboot I get an error that the root drive cannot be found. That has only happened once, though.

Sorry to hi-jack, but any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to get ZFS rolling on my Fedora server, but I want the OS itself to be part of the RAID 1 setup.

Thank you.

I have seen a few guides online for getting a bootable root file system but I havent tried it.
I wasn’t worried about getting the OS on ZFS. Sorry man.

I wrote an entire guide on how to migrate an existing fedora install to an alternative file system. In my case I was migrating from default ext4 to f2fs. I provide step by step instructions on modifying the operating system config files to accommodate for the changes. I’ve even gotten encryption manually set up with my own manual LVM partition. I haven’t updated my reddit guide with those details yet but I can do that for you if you’re interested. The only thing you need is a flash drive or an SD card that’s at least 32GB, a fedora installer usb, and a drive in your computer that you want to install it to. All of this should be a the same exact process for zfs with fedora, with the only difference being having to configure a zfs pool and all the settings along with that, instead of just formating to f2fs like the guide says.

Nice, do you have a link or PDF?