My thinkpad just died on the surgery table, now what?

So I had my thinkpad sent out for repair. I had the 1080p screen modded in and working, then it… well then it didn’t work anymore. The power demands weren’t anything more, and the resulting problems that killed the motherboard are actually unknown, other than they are nowhere near the LVDS bus. Its somewhere else completely on the board according to the tech. So I’ll have to trust him for now, I guess.

So at this point I have a few options, but I’d like some help figuring out what to do in total.

1. Get another L520. I love this sort of machine. Its light, the processor is good, but if the screen can’t be upgraded without a massive failure and the board presents problems theres not much that I can do. So the way I see it its a 50/50 on getting a new one.

2. Just save for that Oryx Pro. That new Oryx is coming out, but at this point I’ve had more financial responsibilities crop up for medical expenses that I’d rather see taken care of first.

3. Get a battery for my Asus G50VT and go with that till it dies. The thing works fine, has an SSD even, just doesn’t have a battery.

4. Get a completely different thinkpad. Or laptop.

5. Do nothing.

This seems the most reasonable though I’ve had bad luck finding good batteries for older stuff. If you can find a seller who uses samsung or lg cells when they rebuild then thats the way to go IMO.

Theres all sorts of batteries everywhere lol.

Get rid of all your old hardware, all of it, get a fanless ultrabook and never look back. You won’t regret it.

There are but often times they are remanned with cheap chinese cells that will be worthless in a few months.

1 Like

I’m used to workstations I’m not buying a netbook.

I think I’ll sit on it for now and weigh out my options. I’ll think about it at work today. I’m leaning on just doing monthly payment on the S76 Oryx when the new 6 core one comes out. I could also get a thinkpad W700DS and shit on literally everyone but that wouldn’t be worth my time I don’t think :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok I’m going to go look at options in town tomorrow, but I think I’ll let the thinkpad go and work towards an Oryx. I should have enough money set aside by the time the 6 core Oryx’ drop. When do the new nvidia chips come out? Should I just wait for them?