My (high) school is going "NSA" on their students

As long as its your device that's fine. But a school or company owned one then you might have a problem. Also I'm sure that Only device that are in the apple DEP(device enrollment program) are Locked that way byod devices it could removed easy.(but then you might have problems with school/work using the device for those purposes)

Currently my old school forces all internet on site through their own servers, or at least I think they do. They force things that disable encrypted traffic and other weird things that allow them to monitor my traffic, without actually invading my computer. It's a strange thing to do, but I guess it gets whatever they need done? My own laptop eventually got blocked out for one reason or another (possibly due to me uploading huge batches of photos onto flickr afterschool), not sure exactly how they blocked it out either.

Chromebooks also have a device management system in place, probably similar to the way Apple does it. It allows the admin to monitor and control some functions of the device. But at the same time, the management system can be easily wipe, at least on older models (opps).

As someone who is both a student, and an Systems Director (read sysadmin) for my district, I can see both sides of this, but, there is one crucial question; who owns the devices?

If, and only if, the school (or district) paid for the devices outright from Apple, or an authorised reseller (read Best Buy etc.) then they have the law on their side and can install whatever they want, with or without your consent. Bear in mind, they must be able to prove that they own and control the devices for audit purposes. (This is my state of FL, we have VERY broad public records laws, this may not be the case in your area.)

Now, from your post, I gather that you had to buy one for yourself, this would imply that you purchased the iPad from Apple or an authorized reseller, and not the school. If you purchased it from the school, they could still theoretically have legal control of the device, as you may be effectively leasing it from them, which would give them control of the device.

Now, on to Airwatch.

From what I could pull from both my sources in IT, and Google, it just seems to be an MDM, it doesn't specifically collect information. Personally I'm surprised they went with it, considering, it's not free.

Incase you don't know what a MDM does, I've included some tastefully edited screenshots below.

4 Likes

yeah if parent signs that, and understands what it does.

Then kids should not be allowed to bring them. As what you do with MDM is a bad precedence for future. None who actually understands what this does would agree to be invigilated by anyone especially if thats your child. You would want as parent to be the one setting rules not the school which is sometimes very wrong. (and sometimes d-ck sucking a$$ wipes work there that shouldn't be near children)

3 Likes

Just a heads up, you might want to repaint the second screenshot.

1 Like

Gotya, thanks.

If I were a parent at that school I would raise hell over the fact they are specifically requiring expensive ipads.

when it comes to kids the device should be cheap and easy to replace. you never know when It's going to get lost stolen or broken. I highly doubt using you ipad as a shield to stop a bully from punching you in the face is covered by apples warranty policy.

1 Like

the students had to buy the ipads from a shop of their choice and it is in their own expense

We also get to keep these ipads after school.

yes they did force us to sign it. they also made it compulsory to have an ipad, and compulsory to sign their form.

i completely agree with you, there are so many kids in my school with a broken ipad screen. a friend of mine had to replace his ipad 2 times, out of his own expense.

Just in case i didnt make it clear enough, these ipads were bought from a shop of the students' choice.

Basically, with public schools, the issue here is a false choice. "Do this or you can't attend" cannot be the ultimatum, because they're PUBLIC schools, they have to take you in. That's why we pay property tax.

This school is lucky I am not a parent in their district...or a parent at all. but still making the students buy a ipad for school and telling them THEY HAVE to have one in a public school like wtf is up with this? And anything that happens to it the kids have to pay for it, again wtf is this.

Do you guys also have to buy the books for the classes too? Do the ipads replace the books?

Since you signed that document there is nothing you can do, if you wish to use it on their network,. You could just stop using it and don't bring it to school and remove the app. but I'm sure there will be some repercussions since the school requires you to have it in the first place. I am so glade I got out of school before all this tech shit came in. It was already getting bad enough in 09.

They cannot force you to have that app on your device. It is yours.
However they can require you to have it on your Ipad to connect to their network.
However IMO since the school is part of the government they should get a warrant for gathering this info. Also it should be an individual warrant for each student.
I would not install it on my iPad, if they refused me access to the network I would just tether to my phone.

Ill say it here ABOLISH THE DEPT OF EDUCATION.
They are totalitarian Nazis.

1 Like

Alot of post are missing the point of the MDM software its to deploy apps. It can change network configs but the main purpose of one is to deploy apps. Students wont have to buy apps the school buys the license gives apps to the students and remove them after the leave or no longer need them. Students don't have to pay and you don't have the problem of class being delayed because somebody was to stupid, lazy, or forgetful to install an app.

The only problem I see is that the school forced people to buy their own equipment. I hope at least they subsidized poor family's for this large investment. This dose not sound like a rich suburb district otherwise they would have had thier own ipads.(seriosly we have 10 year old computers running and some schools blow hundreds of thousands on sports press rooms(really))

With new access points we can find rouge a ap very easily and then its just a mater of discipline according to the rules. We flat out ban it because its a way around the firewall and it cause problems with channel overlap.

A rouge AP is way different than accessing the internet from a tethered phone.

A rouge AP is an AP that is introduced into a network with the Same SSID to fool users to access it or simply hand out bad addresses.

Accessing the Internet via a Cellular connection is not going on the schools network or accessing any of there equipment.
Therefor you cannot ban anything as you do not have control over his personal network because you are in a building....

Its the school districts building. We have dress codes, banned items, and rules of conduct. We cant jam a cell signal but we can give you In school suspension.

edit
also say students uses this to get around the firewall and parents have a fit. policy's are in place for a reason. same reasons you have warnings on plastic bags not to put them on your head. So company's and organizations can absolve themselves of liability.

Yes but, I'm pretty sure like you said, blocking or jamming a cellphone signal is Illegal.
If there is a specific school code that says, "You cannot access the internet from your cellphones." that is an entirely different story.

This is such a bs, and you know it yourself. You can accomplish those without it.
This looks like ok lets force kids buy apple products ... wtf? Why haven't you quit yet, have you no decency?

what a load of absolute gobshit. Schools these days...

My school had a network that was basically unprotected from anything, like, you could go on 4chan and the dudes in the back wouldn't have a clue. it was kinda funny.

Install Kali Linux on a laptop and inject the hell out of their network. And then sue them.