My first gaming rig

Hello I am gonna build my first gaming rig in a couple months but I am a total noob in building pc's. So I really want some opinions from Logan or whoever I just need some tips before I start buying the stuff (I need to save up first so I still have time)

The parts I compiled are:

Case: Cooler mMaster HAF X

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, 1155, 4x DDR3, 4x SATA-300, 4x SATA-600

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k

Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (two 8GB ones)

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair AX860 80 Plus platinum certified

Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX

GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost 3GB GDDR5

Not bad (y) 

Your reply actually makes me feel comfortable thanks haha.

Smaller, cheaper, better PSU.

Better motherboard, better CPU, better CPU cooler, and better RAM.

Oh, and no sound card.

?? WTF

I know I wanted tips and opinions but im  not gonna follow this one seeing as the motherboard cooler and ram choices are from a video of logan.

The parts I compiled are:

Case: Cooler mMaster HAF X --- Good :D

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, 1155, 4x DDR3, 4x SATA-300, 4x SATA-600

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k -- On the motherboard/CPU combo you might want to look into getting a haswell (i5 4XXX) as well (huehuehue) as a z87 base motherboard, it isn't gonna do much for performance but it's not gonna cost much more.

Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 -- I don't know much about coolers

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (two 8GB ones) -- 16 is good, 8 would be plenty tho, if you need budget to get Haswell, cut down to 8GB of RAM

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB -- SSD's be nice!!

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB -- I never worked with Samsung HDDs, and Seagate seems to be cheaper, might wanna look into getting Seagate/Western Digital

Power Supply: Corsair AX860 80 Plus platinum certified -- You could step down to anything over 600W with regular 80+ certification to save some money

Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX -- :D

GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost 3GB GDDR5 -- One of the best $/performance ratios, you might want to compare benchmarks between this one and the GTX 760, just search for benchmarks for both cards on Youtube/Google and compare them (make sure games are ran at same settings/resolution)

I'm correcting stuff just to correct stuff, the build you have going on is very solid, and those are my very own opinions, how I would do it if it was me.

also, use the website pcpartpicker.com, very helpfull compatibility filter and very complete list of merchants for the best price out there!! 

Have fun building your system man!!

I'm not sure why, all his suggestions are spot on. The only one I would disagree with is the 2500k as it's still a great processor for overclocking.

I currently have a Samsung Spinpoint 2TB and to be honest... not so crash hot..... they're alright for storage.. for speed though... better off going for a WD Caviar Black 1TB.

Also very true about the Power Supply... a bit much for this setup unless some serious overclocking is to be had.... but a better and cheaper option even for overclocking (why not if you're getting a 2500k! I'm currently running the 2500 though... can't wait till I upgrade to the FX 8350!) would be what I'm after for my next upgrade which is a Corsair HX850 ... semi modular & 80+ Gold certified ;) (or even the HX750...also good to look at the Corsair TX range!)

Thanks but I cant use that site I live in the netherlands.

Thanks for the effort I took your advice on the hard drive found a westerdn digital 2TB for same price as the spinpoint. Im not gonna go for the haswell and z87 motherboard as you are saying its not much increase in performance. Im also staying with the 16 gig of ram just so I know I have plenty its not much different in price than 8 gig for me but maybe thats because I live in the Netherlands.

I looked into all psu u said and the price difference from the one I chose arent that great for me at least (I live in Netherlands) and maybe I will go for the FX 8350 It is the exact same price as the 2500k but more cores and its speed is 4ghz opposed to 3.3 so that would be a better choice??

Yes I am sure I will go for the FX 8350 I looked at some reviews and testresults and it scores way way higher.

I would say the case is subjective so you should go for whatever you want, for a good Z77 motherboard I would opt for a gigabyte board because I have had a good experience with them. Now for you CPU I don't see why you don't get a 3570k, but then again the 2500k is still very good for gaming, for you cpu cooler I know Logan has said it is a good cooler but I have read at other sites and reviews the small rubber gromets and brittle and break but I have never seen this before, now for the ram I would say 16gb is overkill 8gb is plenty and can save you a bit of coin, the ssd you you listed is very good acording to Logan and lots of other review sites so I would say that's a safe bet. As for you HDD I have never tried any other HDD than WD drives so I'm not sure, but samsung usually make good storage devices. Now for your PSU, that thing is complete overkill your only going to need about 700w and thats if you going to be overclocking and upgrading in the future, I would say go for a XFX 750 silver rated PSU their really good value and reliable, for the GPU the HD7950 is great and comes with allot of games, but if you just want an alternative I can fully condone the EVGA GTX 760 I bought one and it can easily max out most games at 1080p it also runs pretty cool, so theres my two cents, hopes it helped.

Thanks for the feedback I will look at the prices here in the netherlands and if the prize difference is small I will get a 3570K as for the cooler I already started looking for a better one I also read some reviews not too many people find it reliable. I will keep the RAM as it is RAM is always good maybe I wanna set up a server for some game and then I will have enough to spare. As for the PSU my choice is overkill but only about 40 euro more than most recommended PSU. At last I have another question people Radeon HD7950 boost or the EVGA GTX 760 wich must I choose and why because I asked some people and they come with answers like "This one is prettier or this one looks cool or they go like uhm you see because well its just better" These kind of answers will get me no further than where I am standing. Seeing as looks dont matter shit all except for the case In the future I will go more for looks but for now I just need a solid rig.