My First Build (help needed)

Hi,

My location is the UK and I normally use Windows.

After a lot of research and banging my head against the wall I am still unsure the best way forward, I hope the teksyndicate forums can come to the rescue!!

A little background.

I work as an engineer (for my sins) within my role I am required to use applications like Autodesk Revit, and other 3d/calculation intensive program; also, as I am starting a part time Masters Degree over the next 3 years.

My plans.

Reliability is important to me. This machine will be getting a lot of use. Of course I would like to run the latest games at high settings (FPS, MMO, basically all wide variety of games) too, however, I currently have 2 BenQ 1080p (120Hz) gaming monitors which I am happy with, therefore, this machine will not need to be capable of anything higher, but I would like the option to upgrade a few parts if needs be a year down the line if I want to experiment with higher resolutions. I do not need any peripherals. Water cooling I think may be necessary for this build as I would like to have the option to overclock.

Another consideration.

I would like compatibility with Linux to allow dual boot? Or with this machine would a VMachine be a safer option?

I like the look of the new X99 platform, however, I am not sure if this would be overkill or not? I would like to know what I would have to sacrifice but going for a smaller form factor and if staying with a full size desktop would be a better solution? Also, I would like to incorporate and SSD into this build.

As for my budget....

What do you think is a reasonable amount of money to hit the sweet spot on this build? I don't want to unrealistic either way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I would say:

Full ATX build:

Case: Fractal Design R4

Mobo: Asus Z97 Deluxe

CPU: i7 4770k

RAM: 16GB of anything from corsair, adata, kingston and crucial

GPU: Gigabyte 780Ti

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (for OS)

HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ( another one if necessary)

PSU: Corsair RM650W

If you wanted a smaller computer then you'd want to go with mATX and not Mini ITX because you might want more than one PCIe slot, other than the PCIe slot there's nothing to lose with going even smaller down to mITX.

Yep the X99 is overkill unless you do serious 3d rendering or big time video production and have a lot of money

One critical thing you forgot before we can properly help you - What is your budget?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply my budget is below £2000, however, I would like to ensure that I do not overspend and pay say £2000 when I only needed to pay £1000; Is that a reasonable amount to pay?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks you for your quick response!

I have put together the list of components you have suggested in PCPP, does this seem right?

Link

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/SplinteredMind/saved/Wv6NnQ

Also, do you think for example this build would play BF4 at 60FPS??

Thanks.

Total....................................£1926.17

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rBgBFT

Estimated Wattage...............511W

I know it is close to max budget ...but.... wow!

With some arranging a Titan would look amazing in this build

why all these 780 ti ?

Mutch better : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/XdnpD3

Really , you can afford this , get it ; the 295 x2 spanks all these gpu's .... 

You guys are awesome thanks a lot for all the information, this really helps me you have no idea.

Would anybody recommend a X99 build over an X97 build? I just noticed that all the builds are X97 why would is this the better choice for my build? I am just asking to help make an informed decision.

Thanks again!

X79*

X79 can still deliver very respectable performance, and the components are a lot cheaper(e.g. DDR3 vs DDR4 prices)

X99 is new, though, and the CPUs could perhaps be upgraded in the future.  X79 has pretty much reached the end of its life.

Sorry my bad I meant to write Z97 not X97 any advice on that situation?