My Fake News thought / Probably the last thing that needs to be said so we can all shut the hell up

"Fake News" has always existed. FN is a branch of other issues, as @wendell said, but it is also a point of view issue. If I were to turn on the TV, watch WOODTV 8 or FOX 17 for news, then I am looking for local news. Someone in new york doesn't give a shit about whatnot in Grand Rapids Michigan. You know what 47 countries and ALL of America gave a huge shit about? That Grand Rapids Public Schools Elementary and High School have their heating and water systems managed by an Amiga A500 Console because it is one of the worst funded schools in MI. While sad, thats sad and in my opinion Fake News. To someone who put that thing in or using the same system maybe not, and that says A LOT about the amiga community and how powerful they are, but to me I don't give a shit.

Just as much as that is fake news, so are all the reports of shootings, the amber alert that wakes me up at 4 AM because my phone won't shut the fuck up (because a husband and wife in the ghetto had a fight and one or the other called the cops saying they stole their baby), and a lot of shit in the news paper.

Have any of you watched the morning news with Charlie Rose on CBS? That is news. Relative world politics being talked about with like minded people and using online social media as a public forum to talk about it. Nothing really fake there.

Know whats fake? "WATCH KATHY AND HODA DRINK FOR LIKE 8-10 HOURS HURR DURR WE CALL IT NEWS SO YOU SHOULD TOO!!" :| Many many places do this and call it "news". NBC is only news at 10 at night.

Now I'm old fashioned in that once in a while I DO watch TV. Archaic in that its broadcast TV (better than cable I can watch MASH and Emergency at dinner HA) even. But the news I care about are "How is the TPP going to affect other countries?" "Wheres bitcoin at?" "Whats the latest rootkit password table being past in B36?" "What happened with Snowden Today?" "Whats Wendell up to?" And more. Most everything is "Fake News" to me. Emphasys on TO ME. That thing on TV on CNN or FOX about Turkey basting with a garden hose or when TMZ comes on? That shit is someone's point of existence. That is their news. Maybe not mine, but I'm not in their life nor do I care to be.

Then you have buzzfeed and its just full of fake people.

"One false statement is more interesting than a thousand true books." - someone I forgot

Either people learn to deal with "clickbait" and "fake news" or have no right to complain if they miss the important stuff.

You might want to mention Emergency was actually a good tv show and not a gastro-intestinal issue.

1 Like